The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lactobacillus question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
electrolight
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Default Lactobacillus question.

We know high hop content or high abv content will thwart Lactobacillus. But I was wondering do either of those kill off the Lacto? Or does it go dormant like yeast usually does?

Also, I know the abv cut off is about 8%. Anyone know the IBU cutoff?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrolight View Post
We know high hop content or high abv content will thwart Lactobacillus. But I was wondering do either of those kill off the Lacto? Or does it go dormant like yeast usually does?

Also, I know the abv cut off is about 8%. Anyone know the IBU cutoff?

Thanks.
I know that hops will only keep it from reproducing - the oils and resins coat the cells.

As far as the alcohol goes, I would take an educated guess and say that that would kill it. Alcohol is known to kill bacteria in other settings (alcohol based hand sanitizer, for example). I'm not sure what the percentage has to be, but it would most likely be dependent on the strain of lacto.

pH level is another consideration - another educated guess, but since things like Starsan are acid based sanitizers (albeit with other ingredients) I'd say that low pH will also kill it. I'm sure some strains are more tolerant than others with this too, but I think a pH of something like 3.0 will take care of them.

As always, if someone knows differently, please correct me.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply