LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Kvass & recipe

First question, has anyone here actually made Kvass? If so how'd it turn out?

Secondly I've seen many some what similar recipes online and it seems quite straight forward to make. For those not clear as to what it is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass. As for an example of a recipe, http://www.whats4eats.com/beverages/kvas-recipe, most recipes look somewhat like this one.

Any thoughts, I might undertake this tomorrow when I can run by the store and pick up some rye bread.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
phasedweasel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Oldsock of Mad Fermentationist has, I believe: Neo-Kvass.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasedweasel View Post
Oldsock of Mad Fermentationist has, I believe: Neo-Kvass.
Turned out pretty well I though (nice bready flavor, interesting yeast character, easy to drink), but not exactly traditional since there is a small mash involved.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I make a pseudo Kvass - half bread, half malts, ~ 6% ABV which is out-of-style, but I like it. I've been messing around with the yeast, mostly Belgian. I just kegged up the latest that was fermented with a Saison yeast. It is very spicey!

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 03-04-2010, 04:08 AM   #5
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Thanks phasedweasel for pointing me toward the Mad Fermentationist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Turned out pretty well I though (nice bready flavor, interesting yeast character, easy to drink), but not exactly traditional since there is a small mash involved.
Looked over the recipe, I was considering doing something like this. Would you do it again? Also is that your website? Funny if it is. I'm the Brewers Advocate in my homebrew club. We just setup a new website with a webpage of the week & style of the month tab which I maintain. This past week I featured your website! Hopefully it sent a few visitors your way. It's a fantastic blog, you should be proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
I make a pseudo Kvass - half bread, half malts, ~ 6% ABV which is out-of-style, but I like it. I've been messing around with the yeast, mostly Belgian. I just kegged up the latest that was fermented with a Saison yeast. It is very spicey!
So what did the recipe look like?

If I undertake this I'll probably make it in the 3-3.5% abv range with just a touch of malt.

Thanks & Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 03-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Thanks phasedweasel for pointing me toward the Mad Fermentationist.
Looked over the recipe, I was considering doing something like this. Would you do it again? Also is that your website? Funny if it is. I'm the Brewers Advocate in my homebrew club. We just setup a new website with a webpage of the week & style of the month tab which I maintain. This past week I featured your website! Hopefully it sent a few visitors your way. It's a fantastic blog, you should be proud.
I actually did brew it again, half with bread yeast and half with sourdough starter. Again both turned out well. Both times the beers were interesting, but I'm not sure how much the bread actually added. I would probably just brew a dark mild with some rye malt to make it simpler.

Glad you've enjoyed the blog, thanks for the link!

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Here is my recipe

Target OG was 1.062, and I hit it for once, normally I'm under by about 4 pts. I entered the bread into ProMash as the individual ingredients in its recipe (75% efficiency setting). I think for the flour, I set it's gravity contribution around 1.036.

2.5 lbs 6-row
1.5 lb Marris Otter
1.0 lb Rye malt - figured I'd go all out
8 oz crystal 150
6 oz Special B (raisin to go with the rum)
4 oz Aromatic
8 oz Wheat - this is to combat the thinness the 1st batch had. With only half the malt of a normal beer at the intended OG it will tend to finish dry and thin with bread alone

Bread contributions (two loaves)
2.42 lb wheat flour
0.4 lb rye flour
6 oz sugar
5 oz molasses

16 gms Cluster - First wort hopped
16 gms Spalt - 20 min. I figured I'd go all out on the spiciness
19.5 IBUs

I let the bread stale for a day and then tore it into pieces and then in several batches, ran it through my food processor to turn it into crumbs. I did not add any rice hulls and had no sparging issues. The bread pretty much disappeared during the mash. This might be an issue if you use less grain.
Mashed at 153 F for 1 hr.
Whirlfloc added to the end of the boil
Fermented with WLP Saison II @ 66 F for 5 days, then ramped to 80 F
I had been using the Trappist yeast, but I found the strong flavor of this yeast and the spiciness of the rye fought for superiority and it took a couple months for the two to mellow out and stop fighting.

I just kegged the version with the Saison yeast and that seems to complement nicely the rye
FG = 1.012 - Kegged and primed with 1/3 cup corn sugar and 1 tsp of dissolved gelatin.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply