Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Krumbacher Pilsner Clone Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
BARBQ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Krumbacher Pilsner Clone Recipe?

Anybody have something close?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I would be interested to clone it too

Old 03-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 115

It is really hard to clone a particular Pilsner, because the recipes don’t have a huge amount of variation. Mostly/all German pilsner malt, solid dose of Hallertau to bitter, some additions close to the end of the boil, good process for fermentation/lagering etc… If you haven't done one I'd suggest picking a solid recipe and giving it a try, then adjust from there.

I just got 10 lbs of floor malted Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt from a friend, looking forward to trying it out by itself double decoction mash in a Czech Pilsner. For a beer that is so simple (SMaSH) and clean it is amazing how much more important the small decisions become, water profile, mash schedule, pH, fermentation temp etc...

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

BARBQ Likes This 
Old 03-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
BARBQ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
It is really hard to clone a particular Pilsner, because the recipes don’t have a huge amount of variation. Mostly/all German pilsner malt, solid dose of Hallertau to bitter, some additions close to the end of the boil, good process for fermentation/lagering etc… If you haven't done one I'd suggest picking a solid recipe and giving it a try, then adjust from there.

I just got 10 lbs of floor malted Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt from a friend, looking forward to trying it out by itself double decoction mash in a Czech Pilsner. For a beer that is so simple (SMaSH) and clean it is amazing how much more important the small decisions become, water profile, mash schedule, pH, fermentation temp etc...
wow good post. yeah just little things I am learning like the water profile can make a beer taste totally different. Good luck on the Czech pilsner. I love those. The best comm one I drank recently was a Shiner 101 czech pilsner. I tried to clone it and didnt come close.

Quick Reply