Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Kreuzberg beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #11
ArmyDany84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wort is cooled and yeast is pitched. I used 8lbs weyerman bavarian pils, 4lbs briess munich, white labs WL838. I also used the oak tea. I could only find the hersbrucker hops so thats what I went with. I first wort hopped with 1oz, 1oz at 60 and 1.5 at flameout. Had a 1.050 kettle gravity with a 1.043ish OG. The wort ended up being a little concentrated after sparging and before the boil. It did cook down quite a bit. Once I cooled it and brought it back to 5 gallons the gravity dropped a few points. Not 100% sure why. This was my first all grain batch so... ill keep posting as I move along. I did all the rests as writtwn in the original recipe. I see that some people had made some other suggestions. Ill keep playing with this one until I get it the way I want it. And good luck whitewhause. Let us know how it goes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
ArmyDan84
Recipes 

The yeast seems to be a little slow to start. Hopefully the airlock will be bubbling in the morning.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDany84 View Post
Wort is cooled and yeast is pitched. I used 8lbs weyerman bavarian pils, 4lbs briess munich, white labs WL838. I also used the oak tea. I could only find the hersbrucker hops so thats what I went with. I first wort hopped with 1oz, 1oz at 60 and 1.5 at flameout. Had a 1.050 kettle gravity with a 1.043ish OG. The wort ended up being a little concentrated after sparging and before the boil. It did cook down quite a bit. Once I cooled it and brought it back to 5 gallons the gravity dropped a few points. Not 100% sure why. This was my first all grain batch so... ill keep posting as I move along. I did all the rests as writtwn in the original recipe. I see that some people had made some other suggestions. Ill keep playing with this one until I get it the way I want it. And good luck whitewhause. Let us know how it goes.
The gravity dropped because you diluted it by adding the water to bring it back up to 5 gals. Keep in mind that hydrometers are calibrated at 60deg, so they will read a lower gravity at a high wort temp.
Most Lager yeast will seem to start slow because of the cooler temps, but it's bottom fermenting so don't worry too much right now.
What was your gravity after the boil at yeast pitch temp? You mention kettle gravity and OG?

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #14
ArmyDan84
Recipes 

What I labeled as OG was gravity at pitch temp. The yeast is going strong now. No worries there.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #15
whitehause
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDan84 View Post
What I labeled as OG was gravity at pitch temp. The yeast is going strong now. No worries there.
Good to hear!

Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
marconlin
Recipes 

I am really curious as to how it will taste. Please keep us informed. This is a really special beer.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
whitehause
Recipes 

Mine is about 2 weeks in the fermenter. Now to crash, transfer and wait.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #18
ArmyDan84
Recipes 

So I didn't let it age for the full 2 months. I let it go for about a month. I have to say that this beer came out exceptionally good. I don't even have a real set up to full grain brewing. I winged it the whole way. And it still came out great. I picked up the stuff to do the partial grain recipe next. I'll try it out and see what I happens. I actually was able to find both types of hops at a local homebrew store. And I'll be using the white labs southern Germany lager yeast this time. Some slight changes. Working on perfecting it.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
ArmyDan84
Recipes 

As good as this beer came out I can't say that its super close to what we all know love from Germany. But its getting there. I can taste the similarities. One question though. My beer came out with a slightly nutty aftertaste. Is this from something I did wrong? A characteristic of the yeast or hops I used? Thanks.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #20
whitehause
Recipes 

Mine is still conditioning. Been about 3 weeks now. I'll let you know my findings when it's done. I'll probably bottle this, so It'll be about 2 months yet.

Quick Reply