Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Kona's Longboard Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
swoods93631
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kona's Longboard Lager

Hello All,

I am a newb to brewing and this forum. I have been reading my brains out and am learning a lot thanks to all you seasoned brewers on here.

SWMBO is a very picky beer drinker. She does not like most of what I drink and is not a fan of my first brew (even though I think is pretty good for my first). She really likes this longboard and it would be cool to brew something very similar for her when I get this brewing thing down a bit more.

I googled and googled this board and only found a few old threads (2008) that had some "best guess" recipes. I am hoping I have missed something and someone out there has a good Malt Extract clone recipe for the Longboard. Anyone?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Keep in mind you'll have to ferment a lager at much lower temps than room temp. I'd advise finding an ale she likes if you're just starting out.

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

+1 it is also going to take you 90-120 days to lager. What about something like a strawberry blonde or belgian white?

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
swoods93631
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
+1 it is also going to take you 90-120 days to lager. What about something like a strawberry blonde or belgian white?
Ya she is no fruit fan and not liking the Belgian White... Tried... I like, she doesnt.

Yes I have read a ton on Lagers and it will certainly not be easy as an Ale... But keep in mind here I am not looking to brew this soon. I want to track down a good clone recipe now instead of next spring or mid winter when I may be looking to do this. I have a few brews to get under my belt before I take this on. I just want to be ready when it is time KWIM...

Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #5
Zebulon
Recipes 

Little trivia: There's three kinds of Konas: The made in Hawaii stuff is only kegged, and served on tap around the islands. There are two mainland breweries that brew the bottled versions for east and west coast mainland distribution. Ironically the bottled kona brews available in hawaii are made at the west coast mainland location and shipped back. Big difference in taste as you might expect.

I'm not much of a lager drinker, that's my disclaimer for the next statement: I think it tastes like a very subtle amount of fruit has been used, pineapple in my opinion. Because it is so light what do you want to bet they use locally grown cane sugar? Those are my two guesses.

Quick Reply