New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Koelsch Extract Recipie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Spitzbube
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Koelsch Extract Recipie

I am hoping to do a Koelsch this weekend or next, so I need to call in ingredients quite soon. Does anyone out there have a Koelsch they think particularly resembles the real thing, or is not all too hoppy? I like German lagers especially, but I thinking it might still get warm here in my Southern Indiana basement, so a Koelsch might be spot on. Opinions on better online ordering sites also welcome, if you can spare the extra words.
Thanks
Craig

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Spitzbube
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default update on Koelsch

I ordered from morebeer, 2 batches worth and some caps all for about 70$, but still out of Glacier hops. Not bad on price I think-- cheaper than my LHBS. I did start brewing the koelsch with malts from the local homebrew store though, and all whole hops. The recipe I used was a Kolsch out of the homebrewer's recipie guide, but i substituted the wheat (i'm not into wheat) with Amber malt extract. I didn't strain the hops out until moving to the second fermenter. Will that bitter the beer too much or make it somehow off? I used White labs yeast, with an 18 hour starter, and saved the yeast after primary using directions i found on this site for washing and re-pitching years. Hope to do a Duesseldorfer altbeer next using the saved koelsch yeast I have in the fridge. If anyone cares to chime in, please do so.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
dlvc1007
Recipes 

How did it turn out? I'd like to start a koelsch as well, any advice?

Quick Reply