Klingon Blood Ale....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirjess

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time posting but have been reading the site for a while. I have been brewing / making wine for a few years and realy enjoy it.

My first post and I have a sorta strange questions....How do I make a beer taste a bit like blood? :cross: I know you cant add real blood as it will spoil and I am sure would taste like crap anyway, so what I want is something that will add a Iron taste.

I was thinking a fairly sweet strong brown ale as a base beer, medium hopped, with a bit of juniper added. Maybe a little bit of smoke taste but not very much. I would then want to make it taste like iron a fair bit. You know that taste when you like something metal...yuk.....ya that. It is the closest taste to blood I can think of. Anyone know how to accomplish this?

And yes I am a Star Trek geek, so this will be a Klingon Blood Ale.

Thanx alot for reading this post.

sirjess said:
How do I make a beer taste a bit like blood? :cross: I know you cant add real blood as it will spoil and I am sure would taste like crap anyway, so what I want is something that will add a Iron taste.

Scrape the rust of plate steel. Or add iron pills to the kettle.

BTW, you are now offically HBT's most freaky person. :eek:

You could just slaughter a lamb and ferment the blood. :rolleyes:

Be careful adding metal or metal supplements to your beer. You could make it toxic in a hurry.

IMHO, you should make a tasty, dark red ale to capture the spirit of the beer without worrying about making it taste like vampire juice.

You could just come to my house and brew with my water. The iron content pre-filter is through the roof.

I'd think a couple kilos of lambs blood in the kettle for 5 minutes to kill bacteria. Not sure on a yeast though. You may need to contact wyeast or whitelabs for info on what strains bring out the blood taste. If you don't have a ready source of labs blood you could throw in a large steak in the boil. Make sure you could that nicely marinated steak afterwords.

(Ask a disturbing question, you'll get disturbing answers) :D

Question: wasn't it blood wine? A quick google confirms that:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Bloodwine

And for the record, I freaking hate star trek. But I had a roommate who watch a solid two hours a day. Every day. For 9 months. I s'pose it stands to reason I'd pay attention when they're talking about booze. :p

......okay.....

The things you find when you google....I just hadda google "blood beer" to see what the internets had to say.....

Interesting.

Yes, it’s true -- Christ’s Blood doesn’t just come in the form of wine anymore. Now you can get it on tap as well. Imagine it: a holy beer, like one of Homer Simpson’s fantasies come true. You’d think Christians would be lined up around the block to get a sip of the stuff, but as it happens hardly anyone has even heard of it. Unless, that is, you’re Belgian, in which case you’ve known about it for years. Christ’s Blood beer is actually called kriek and it’s been around for almost a millennium.

The rest of the article is here.....http://www.pist.ca/article.php/2_bcb

It may give you some ideas.....*shudders* :D

I also found this on another forum....

So, someone told me they put blood in Guiness? Any truth to this? Any blood beer out there otherwise?

The rest of that short thread is here... http://beerdrinkers.tribe.net/thread/6f974423-9671-4b91-8bbd-de55124c623c

Yeah...you still are HBT's Freakiest poster!!!!

Congrats!!!!

TeamFreak.JPG

First yes I know its Blood Wine, but I thought a beer would hold that taste better than a wine. Iron pills sounds like an interesting idea, I will have to see what they actually taste like disolved in water.

And if I would have come here saying I actualy brewed something with my own blood......then I would be HBT's freekiest poster.

Thanx for the idea, if I actualy try brewing something like this, I will let you know.

Once again, don't go blindly adding iron to your beer without examining the consequences. Dissolving enough iron to taste is probably going to lead to health issues. Do some internet searching on iron overdose (a leading cause of death in children) and iron toxicity. Here's a place to start. Also, see here.

Eat a handfull of goji berries, a lot of people think that they taste a bit like blood. You can really taste the iron.

I hate to argue with you yuri (again. lol) but I can taste the iron in our water supply here. That is one of the reasons I filter our otherwise clean water (other reason is chlorine). Not saying large amounts of iron may be bad for you, but I think taste is questionable.

wonderbread????????????

hmmm interesting..after looking at human blood components on wikipedia i noticed there's some ingredients people use in brewing or have access to....

Aluminum
Copper
Iron
Zinc
Citric Acid
Fructose
Potassium
Carbon Dioxide
Ethanol
Fluoride
Folic Acid
and of course Water

So boil 5 gallons with a peice of aluminum foil, throw in unused copper fittings, thrown in some multivitamins for the iron and zinc, a little citric acid (maybe make it a wit with emphasis on the orange zest, or even some citrusy hops), Fructose i recommend lyles golden or maybe Belgian candi syrup, maybe a banana for potassium or potassium pills, Co2 is provided via bottling, Ethanol is created via fermentation, and throw in a folic acid pill.....

What kind of blood did the klingons drink anyway?

All kidding aside, like yuri said be careful adding metals and chemicals to your beer just go for looks with some food coloring..... Peated malt might give you that slight nasty flavor, cascade hops for the acidic taste, for the copper tinge i can't think of anything....

(does it make me weird that i bit my lip while posting this and was actually trying to pinpoint flavors and think of substitutes???)

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
You could just come to my house and brew with my water. The iron content pre-filter is through the roof.

You too, eh?

As to the OP, I would shoot to get the color as deep red as possible and make it viscous. Like Carapils, Oats, etc. If this is AG, mash high but increase your bitterness. Blood is opaque, so maybe you can consider a low flocculating yeast but ferment cold so as not to incite esters, etc. Make a huge starter so that you have a ton of yeast in it. Maybe even consider serving it up with a pinch of salt.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
I hate to argue with you yuri (again. lol) but I can taste the iron in our water supply here. That is one of the reasons I filter our otherwise clean water (other reason is chlorine). Not saying large amounts of iron may be bad for you, but I think taste is questionable.
According to this link, the EPA has established the safe level of dissolved iron in water as 0.3 mg/L. Apparently, that concentration is enough to discolor the water, and I'm guessing it's also enough to taste (having had VERY iron/rust rich water in Alaska). However, that article seems to pertain to iron oxide (rust) from pipes. The article specifically mentions that iron in that form is not easily absorbed by the body. Iron supplements, on the other hand, are not made from iron oxide, they are sulfates or salts that are more readily absorbed.

I'll meet you halfway, Denny - I agree that slightly rusty water, while nasty, isn't necessarily harmful. Someone still needs to convince me that adding iron pills to beer isn't a potentially dangerous thing to do.

Hmm, I'm no expert in the matter, but let's see what I can remember from high school chemistry...

Rust is ferrous oxide, or ferric oxide. That makes it a FeO or Fe2O3 compound. If memory serves correctly, that should be a ionic (not covalent) compound, and as a result dissolves into water, where it breaks up into Fe++ or Fe+++ and O-- ions.

On nutritional iron, from wikipedia:
Nutrition and dietary sources

Good sources of dietary iron include red meat, fish, poultry, lentils, beans, leaf vegetables, tofu, chickpeas, black-eyed peas, potatoes with skin, bread made from completely whole-grain flour, molasses, teff and farina. Iron in meat is more easily absorbed than iron in vegetables.[14]

Iron provided by dietary supplements is often found as iron (II) fumarate, although iron sulfate is cheaper and is absorbed equally well. Elemental iron, despite being absorbed to a much smaller extent (stomach acid is sufficient to convert some of it to ferrous iron), is often added to foods such as breakfast cereals or "enriched" wheat flour (where it is listed as "reduced iron" in the list of ingredients). Iron is most available to the body when chelated to amino acids - iron in this form is ten to fifteen times more bioavailable[15] than any other, and is also available for use as a common iron supplement. Often the amino acid chosen for this purpose is the cheapest and most common amino acid, glycine, leading to "iron glycinate" supplements.[16] The RDA for iron varies considerably based on age, gender, and source of dietary iron (heme-based iron has higher bioavailability).[17] Infants will require iron supplements if they are not breast-fed. Blood donors are at special risk of low iron levels and are often advised to supplement their iron intake.

[edit] Regulation of iron uptake

Excessive iron can be toxic, because free ferrous iron reacts with peroxides to produce free radicals, which are highly reactive and can damage DNA, proteins, lipids, and other cellular components. Thus, iron toxicity occurs when there is free iron in the cell, which generally occurs when iron levels exceed the capacity of transferrin to bind the iron.

Iron uptake is tightly regulated by the human body, which has no regulated physiological means of excreting iron. Only small amounts of iron are lost daily due to mucosal and skin epithelial cell sloughing, so control of iron levels is mostly by regulating uptake.[18] However, large amounts of ingested iron can cause excessive levels of iron in the blood because high iron levels can damage the cells of the gastrointestinal tract, preventing them from regulating iron absorption. High blood concentrations of iron damage cells in the heart, liver and elsewhere, which can cause serious problems, including long-term organ damage and even death.

Humans experience iron toxicity above 20 milligrams of iron for every kilogram of mass, and 60 milligrams per kilogram is a lethal dose.[19] Over-consumption of iron, often the result of children eating large quantities of ferrous sulfate tablets intended for adult consumption, is one of the most common toxicological causes of death in children under six.[19] The DRI lists the Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for adults as 45 mg/day. For children under fourteen years old the UL is 40 mg/day.

Regulation of iron uptake is impaired in some people as a result of a genetic defect that maps to the HLA-H gene region on chromosome 6. In these people, excessive iron intake can result in iron overload disorders, such as hemochromatosis. Many people have a genetic susceptibility to iron overload without realizing it or being aware of a family history of the problem. For this reason, it is advised that people not take iron supplements unless they suffer from iron deficiency and have consulted a doctor. Hemochromatosis is estimated to cause disease in between 0.3 and 0.8% of Caucasians.[20]

The medical management of iron toxicity is complex, and can include use of a specific chelating agent called deferoxamine to bind and expel excess iron from the body.

So assuming multivitamin iron is ferrous sulfate, that makes it a FeSO4 molecule, which would dissolve into Fe++ and SO4-- ions.

In conclusion I would suggest that iron from both sources is highly available to the body; in each instance the iron will dissolve down to a iron ion and a corresponding negative ion.

I could be very wrong on this, however. Please do not take this as absolute truth. It could be that the bonds are stronger on Fe2O3 than I think they are, and thus it does not easily break down in the body.

If you really want to add iron, I'd just make sure that you are well below the FDA rated amount above. So part of that decision making will need to be how many servings can you have in a day? If one, I'd allow for 20mg in a serving. If more, then proportionally less in each serving.

I have been thinking and I want to give the goji berries a bump, they taste like blood and are a dark red color, rack onto a 1/2 lb of them. I think that it would be worth your time.

-ander

Yuri_Rage said:
I'll meet you halfway, Denny - I agree that slightly rusty water, while nasty, isn't necessarily harmful. Someone still needs to convince me that adding iron pills to beer isn't a potentially dangerous thing to do.

Yeah, I'll agree with you there. When I suggested iron pills I thought the OP had to be joking and iron supplements have a maximum daily dose for a reason (in other words one should be careful about taking any supplement).

I do know that excess intake of iron pills can deadly. In fact I have a relative with hemochromitosis and has to be bled every month or so to reduce the iron in her system. Talk about middle ages like doctoring!

Before adding any off the wall substance to your beer one should check the FDA (or Health Canada) list of acceptable substances in beer.

I did just that when I decided to make a beer with yerba mate as an ingredient. I even received emails back from both the FDA and Health Canada stating that there was no restriction and that it was listed as acceptable. That said, the strong ale tasted fine but the mateine (caffeine?) levels were to high I think as more than one pint seemed to increase blood pressure. I guess I used way to much.

i think a combination of hibiscus and chocolate malt will give you a deep, red color.

i actually have my trademark Blood Ale. It's more of a dark, strong, amber ale, though.

doesn't taste like blood, unfortunately...not enough mouthfeel.

Well at least this post started an interesting conversation.
I actually have a small goji plant growing, but would never get enough berries to add. I have seen Goji juice in stores, I will taste it and see what I think.

And I doubt I would make a full batch of this beer if I tried it, most likely 1gal bottled and brought out for a really strange reaction.

sirjess said:
Well at least this post started an interesting conversation.
I actually have a small goji plant growing, but would never get enough berries to add. I have seen Goji juice in stores, I will taste it and see what I think.

And I doubt I would make a full batch of this beer if I tried it, most likely 1gal bottled and brought out for a really strange reaction.

Alright, good talk then.

just a simple, and maybe conversation altering, point. the "flavor" in blood is more of a coppery taste, not iron. But what you want is the essence of the blood to flavor the beer.

the easiest answer is use liver. I know that sounds gross, but fresh beef liver, boiled for 10 mins or so to kill bacteria, will give you exactly the blood flavor becuase it filters the blood.

now that ive got that out. i reaaaaalllly dont think you wanna make a blood ale. the odds of any blood flavoring getting through untouched in flavor is low.

on the other hand now that im thinking on it some more. maybe adding pasteurized blood to the bucket at bottling may work well. Do they make/can you make pasteurized blood?

What a deliciously bizarre thread. Piqued my interest.

Question: wasn't it blood wine? A quick google confirms that:

It's a translation issue from the Klingon language. The klingon term is more accurately translated as "blood alcoholic beverage." So I suppose it could be either wine or beer, or soju.

I agree with Anderj. I think Goji berries is the way to go. It's far easier to do it as a fruit beer than mess about with rust, iron supplements and boiled liver.

Then I thought that wine has always tasted a bit bloody to me, what with the tannins (which is why I rarely drink the stuff). Why not just go with some goji wine.

And then I seem to remember an episode of Next Generation or DS9 where Whorf was drinking blood wine with a non-klingon who remarked, with surprise, that it tasted like cranberry juice.

As for avatars. There's a fellow on here who's avatar is Spock and Kirk wielding light sabres. That's a real mind-bender.

This may be an urban legend, but supposedly Jaeger Meister used to put a bit of elk blood in each bottle.

Boil a few nails in the mash water or throw a bot of copper pipe in the secondary, I like my water to taste metallic but then again I also like distilled and fluoridated water.

Personally I don't think it will taste good, why not just make an Irish red ale?

I see this is an old thread, but being a Trekkie I couldn't let it die just yet--

Two points-- (1) Ferrous sulfate is a common flocculant used in water treatment. So if you're going for an opaque, blood-like drink the iron pills are going to work against you, aside from the toxicity questions. On the other hand, the fact that they generate floc might help keep the concentration from getting too high, in that the iron would settle out with the yeast.

(2) On Star Trek, the Next Generation, Guinan turns Worf on to prune juice, which he dubs "a warrior's drink" and proceeds to consume every time he can sneak off to the bar. So if the blood ale doesn't work out maybe a prune beer would suffice?

I'm a trekkie so I gotta put my 2 cents in the thread. First off, someone earlier suggested to add aluminum to the boil. I strongly object to doing that. Aluminum is a neurotoxin and there is an ongoing debate about pulling aluminum cookware off the shelves because of that. Second, you have to be careful when dealing with minerals in food in general. A mineral imbalance in your body may kill your kidneys or cause other problems with brain function. So I wouldn't start dumping random scraps of materials into a brewpot. Some people suggested using goji berries and that's probably the safest way to try to make a blood beer.

Haha, what an old thread... and I read the whole thing, hoping to see an outcome (its like a train wreck with no closure unfortunately).

And this has to be one of the funnies things I've read today:

It's a translation issue from the Klingon language. The klingon term is more accurately translated as "blood alcoholic beverage." So I suppose it could be either wine or beer, or soju.

Back