The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Kits vs. a la Carte?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
I would use 10 or 11 lbs of DME for each 5 gallon batch.
That's well above an average beer gravity. As I said, I do partial mashes, so I usually use about 3 lbs in a go. Even so, a beer with 10 or 11 lbs would exceed gravity of the heaviest beer I've ever made (and that used mostly LME because I wanted Munich).

So if anything, I think this thread has demonstrated that you have to run your own comparisons, because the results depend on your assumptions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #22
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
That's well above an average beer gravity. As I said, I do partial mashes, so I usually use about 3 lbs in a go. Even so, a beer with 10 or 11 lbs would exceed gravity of the heaviest beer I've ever made (and that used mostly LME because I wanted Munich).

So if anything, I think this thread has demonstrated that you have to run your own comparisons, because the results depend on your assumptions.
My bad, my brain was stuck in base malt mode. Math and homebrew don't mix sometimes. I was using more like 6 or 7 lbs per batch. Still less than 10 batches worth of extract. Anyway, I'm tired of beating this dead horse.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

zeg Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply