Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Kinda scary IPA recipe...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
iamjonsharp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
That sounds like a damn good IPA to me. My last one was 76IBU and rocked. If the hop flavor is too much for you, it will mellow out over time in the bottles.
Agreed. Sounds like it will turn out great. It'll be darker than the 90 minute clone, but should be nice and bitter. Dry hop generously!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #12
DarinB
Recipes 

OG was 1.08

according to beer tools, the IBU should be in the neighborhood of 74...

thank you all for the kind words - I'm feeling much better about it than I was yesterday...lmao!

SWMBO and I both love hoppy beers, so worst case scenario is we don't have to share...

Old 10-18-2007, 04:22 AM   #13
DarinB
Recipes 

progress update:

9 days in primary, gravity reading is 1.042 - aside from the sample being rather sweet tasting at this point, I can taste a hint of what the finished product should be, and my worries be gone...

Fermenting
Kolsch
Amber
ESB

Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #14
DarinB
Recipes 

Default Updates...questions...

I wound up leaving this one in the primary for 18 days, then racked to secondary. Starting gravity was 1.080, at the time of racking it was 1.032, and now after 11 days in secondary, the gravity is at 1.024.

The sample I took last night tasted great...maintaining patience with this beer is going to be living h*ll for me... ;o)

Since this is my first bigger beer, I'm trying to pay more attention to the gravity readings (usually I don't pay much attention at all - just loosely follow the 1-2-3 method...) which is inevitably leading me to more worry than normal (so far, I've been able to stave off the worry with a few homebrews...).

Near as I can tell, the FG for this IPA should be in the neighborhood of 1.016 - 1.018. The gravity is still dropping, albeit slowly, so that don't bother me too much. What I'm really wondering is what's going to happen once I bottle? Is it possible that the yeast will be all petered out at that point, causing me carbonation fits?

Fermenting
Kolsch
Amber
ESB

Old 11-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #15
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yeast have been known to not like to carb bigger beers, but as far as how you determine that, I think it might just be a guess and check kind of ordeal. You could always add 1/4 packet or so dry yeast at bottling time just to make sure.

On another note, I would never again rack the beer to secondary when fermentation isn't yet complete. Secondary should be for clearing/conditioning rather than more fermentation. Primary fermentation for extended periods of time won't hurt the beer, contrary to popular belief.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:35 AM   #16
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
Yeast have been known to not like to carb bigger beers, but as far as how you determine that, I think it might just be a guess and check kind of ordeal. You could always add 1/4 packet or so dry yeast at bottling time just to make sure.

On another note, I would never again rack the beer to secondary when fermentation isn't yet complete. Secondary should be for clearing/conditioning rather than more fermentation. Primary fermentation for extended periods of time won't hurt the beer, contrary to popular belief.

What Mr. Chef said about the Primary/Secondary thing. And a HUGE Atta Boy for going Big. Not many people are willing to try something new when they brew in fear that they will not like what turns out at the end. You did though, and it sure as heck sounds like what's going to turn out at the end for you is a Hell of a Damned Fine Brew.

On DeckWitches Brew WDIPA
Primary Helles Wings MailBock,
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown Ale, Witches Brew IPA
On Tap Witches Brew IPA

Old 11-07-2007, 02:44 AM   #17
DarinB
Recipes 

The primary/secondary thing I wasn't terribly sure about...I thought that it was ok once fermentation had slowed - guess that's what I get for thinking, and not reading/inquiring. ;o(

RLinNH...thanks ;o) I'm still not too sure about what I've gotten myself in to, but so far so good - like I said, the current sample already tasted really good...I have high hopes!

Fermenting
Kolsch
Amber
ESB

Old 11-07-2007, 02:57 AM   #18
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinB
The primary/secondary thing I wasn't terribly sure about...I thought that it was ok once fermentation had slowed - guess that's what I get for thinking, and not reading/inquiring. ;o(

RLinNH...thanks ;o) I'm still not too sure about what I've gotten myself in to, but so far so good - like I said, the current sample already tasted really good...I have high hopes!
Everything's gonna be ok, I'm just trying to forwarn you in for the future.

I thought my Stout was done/stalled in primary, tasted great though, so I racked it to secondary. Once it got into secondary, the rouse from racking stirred up some yeast and it dropped a couple more points in secondary. So it's really fine.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:18 AM   #19
DarinB
Recipes 

I've always considered myself a pretty mellow guy, but this thing I have in my basement is making me re-ponder all kinds of stuff. For all the brews I've brewed over the years, I've never really talked to anybody about the whole subject...amazing all the neat shi(r)t I'm starting to learn...lol

I'm afraid I'm going to run myself out of bottled stock in the process of getting this one done...

Fermenting
Kolsch
Amber
ESB

Old 11-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #20
BeerAg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

how do you add water to your beer at bottling time without oxidizing your beer?

Quick Reply