Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Ketchup Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #21
robtotten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I don't buy this anymore. It's a joke / troll.

if god wanted us to drink beer, she would have given us stomachs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
Zebulon
Recipes 

Hmm. If I was trying to create the ketchup flavor within the beer I could use unfermentable sugars to keep the sweetness, right? Souring could theoretically be used to make it tangy, then. This seems plausible but not very practical. If it won't work to brew with it's not as interesting to me, heh.

The thing that might save this is the cooking of the ketchup. I wonder if things happen in the open pot on the burner for 60+ minutes that might change the vinegar content significantly?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #23
Zebulon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
I don't buy this anymore. It's a joke / troll.
I got into this line of thinking because I realized how much sugar is in ketchup, that you could theoretically make hooch out of it.

It is as serious as you want to take it.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #24
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulon View Post
Hmm. If I was trying to create the ketchup flavor within the beer I could use unfermentable sugars to keep the sweetness, right? Souring could theoretically be used to make it tangy, then. This seems plausible but not very practical. If it won't work to brew with it's not as interesting to me, heh.
The problem with using the souring process is that it'll likely chew up most of those unfermentables that you're adding to keep it sweetened. Although I guess there are still unfermentable sweeteners out there that sour yeasts *won't* eat (e.g., Splenda). But that's yet another weird thing to add to an already weird idea .

Quote:
The thing that might save this is the cooking of the ketchup. I wonder if things happen in the open pot on the burner for 60+ minutes that might change the vinegar content significantly?
If you've ever boiled vinegar before, you'll be familiar with the unpleasant smell that comes out of it. I have no idea how much you can expect to boil off during the 60 minute process, but it might mellow it out slightly. It might be worth testing with ~1gallon of water and a few squirts of ketchup, just for the hell of it. Maybe add some DME and junk hops just to see where the flavor ends up at the end.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #25
Zebulon
Recipes 

If I find someone who is nutty about the stuff, and actually try any combos, expect a belated update to this thread at some point. Seems my next option is to start experimenting, but I don't feel interested enough to use any precious fermentation/aging space at such a high risk.

Food for thought. Thanks all. More on this later, maybe.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #26
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6328 Times on 5484 Posts
Likes Given: 850

maybe just throw some V8 juice into a growler with some US-05 and an airlock?

I recall Bobby_M (I think) posting the cover of an old winemaking book that had a bottle of V8 on the cover....

Quick Reply