Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Kentucky Common Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #41
scone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthebuffs View Post
I followed one of your recipes and posts with the lid on etc. It just tastes like a week old pile of grass to me for some reason. Maybe its just my personal taste, I've had it in the bottle since early august and its gotten a little better, but its still take a sip and dump it. I've even tried keeping a few bottles at 34 degrees for a day or two. I do like the base beer taste sans the grassyness.
I did a little poking around, not sure if this helps you at all... This is straight from the BJCP study guide for diagnosing beer problems.

Quote:
Grassy

This is the flavor and aroma of freshly cut grass or green leaves. Responsible compounds include the aldehydes hexanal and heptanal, which are produced by the oxidation of alcohols in the finished beer or the deterioration of improperly stored malt or hops. Some English and American hop varieties produce grassy notes if used in large quantities, but this flavor should not be a significant part of the profile.

Acetaldehyde

This compound has the taste and aroma of fresh-cut green apples, and has also been compared to grass, green leaves and latex paint. It is normally reduced to ethanol by yeast during the secondary fermentation, but oxidation of the finished beer may reverse this process, converting ethanol to acetaldehyde. Elevated levels are generally present in green beer or if the beer is prematurely removed from the yeast. It can also be a product of bacterial spoilage by Zymomonas or Acetobacter. Background levels of acetaldehyde can be tasted in Budweiser due to the use of beechwood chips to drop the yeast before it can be reduced to ethanol.
What I find interesting is the "can also be a product of bacterial spoilage by Zymomonas or Acetobacter". I wonder if some of those may have been working on your mash and this lead to the spoiling of the finished beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #42
ramthebuffs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Could be, like I said, I followed the instructions, umm it just tastes like the way it smells when you stir it up before draining into the kettle. I'm fairly experienced, I brew on racking days always so its prob not equipment or user failure. Also, in Colorado I would expect we have less and somewhat different bugs floating around. I always do about a gallon of sparge sugar into a pitcher and add it to the top to clean it out etc. It was my first, and so far only, attempt at souring a beer which is a style I like. I'll keep it until next summer to see if it becomes fit for human consumption.

As for the bjcp thing, its not like freshly cut grass, its more like grass thats ready to start a fire if you've got a big enough pile. Probably a lot of the same bacteria at work in both..

Old 11-27-2009, 02:37 AM   #43
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthebuffs View Post
Could be, like I said, I followed the instructions, umm it just tastes like the way it smells when you stir it up before draining into the kettle. I'm fairly experienced, I brew on racking days always so its prob not equipment or user failure. Also, in Colorado I would expect we have less and somewhat different bugs floating around. I always do about a gallon of sparge sugar into a pitcher and add it to the top to clean it out etc. It was my first, and so far only, attempt at souring a beer which is a style I like. I'll keep it until next summer to see if it becomes fit for human consumption.

As for the bjcp thing, its not like freshly cut grass, its more like grass thats ready to start a fire if you've got a big enough pile. Probably a lot of the same bacteria at work in both..
Maybe they were some bad grains or something. My mash smells pretty bad, but at pre-boil it smells sweet and sour.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #44
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will be mashing in a Kentucky Common this evening with the intent of doing the boil about 36 hours from now. I am going with 6lb 2 row, 2 lb flaked corn, 4 oz 60L crystal, 4 oz UK Chocolate. Thanks for the info on your page ODaniel!

-Craig

Old 11-28-2009, 01:52 AM   #45
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

i almost mashed this tonight... but ill need the mash tun tommrow. maybe ill mash in sunday afternoon and boil after work monday....

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Old 11-28-2009, 04:30 AM   #46
KYB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd View Post
I will be mashing in a Kentucky Common this evening with the intent of doing the boil about 36 hours from now. I am going with 6lb 2 row, 2 lb flaked corn, 4 oz 60L crystal, 4 oz UK Chocolate. Thanks for the info on your page ODaniel!
Cool. I just did that last weekend except with 120L Crystal, and 6-row instead of 2-row.

Post up how they turn out.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 AM   #47
claphamsa

Recipes 

I mashed in!
5 lb 6row
2lb corn flaked
1 oz chocolate
4 oz crystal 20 (thought I had 40..... )

will sparge and boil tomorrow after work!

claphamsa on untappd

Old 11-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #48
KYB
Recipes 

Awesome. I prefer the same amount of chocolate malt as crystal. Helps add and balance the slight chocolate, nutty flavors with the caramel flavors. I also prefer darker crystal. I'm sure it will still turn out great though. Let me know how it is.

Don't fear when you smell the mash tomorrow, it's going to smell bad.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:06 AM   #49
claphamsa

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODaniel View Post
Awesome. I prefer the same amount of chocolate malt as crystal. Helps add and balance the slight chocolate, nutty flavors with the caramel flavors. I also prefer darker crystal. I'm sure it will still turn out great though. Let me know how it is.

Don't fear when you smell the mash tomorrow, it's going to smell bad.
yeah, i was gonna use 40... but didnt have any, and i did a 3 day mash once

claphamsa on untappd

Old 11-30-2009, 01:45 AM   #50
KYB
Recipes 

Haha I bet that smelled good. I I've tried 60 and 80, I think I like 120 the best. The batch I have in the fermenter now has 120.

Quick Reply