Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > KBS Clone Recipe in Zymurgy!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #31
peregrinebio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

mattjmac,

How was the coffee flavor in your's? It looks like we brewed this about the same time, I brewed on 8/13. Tasted yesterday and it was great. The bourbon has mellowed into the background, oak is coming out but not overtly, but the coffee flavor is completely gone. Mine came out a lot stronger than the recipe. My mash was too efficient and instead of an OG of 1.092, I hit 1.11! I'm wondering if the coffee got lost in all the malt.

Anyhow, SWMBO and I both think it's ready for bottling, but I'm thinking of adding another infusion of cold press coffee at bottling. However, I'm worried that the coffee will become too strong then. Any opinions???

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #32
mattjmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My brew buddies and I are bottling this tomorrow (while doing a Bourbon County Stout vertical tasting from '07 to '10 and cracking open one of my bottles of Dark Lord!) I haven't tasted it since I transferred to secondary way back at the end of August. I'll be sure to reply back here with the results and I'll let you know how the coffee taste is. I'm actually glad to hear you say the coffee taste is almost nonexistent...I was really concerned with the amount of coffee this recipe called for and was afraid the coffee taste would be overpowering.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #33
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't see where the OP posted how the finished product was... did I miss it or do we need to endlessly harass him?

Old 11-28-2010, 01:45 AM   #34
mattjmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure about the OP's results, but I can say that we bottled this today and the coffee flavor was dominant closely followed by chocolate. We are all very excited to see how this turns out in a few weeks. I'd say if you can't taste the coffee a cold-pressed addition at bottling couldn't hurt things. Let me know how it turns out.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #35
peregrinebio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Nice. I couldn't make up my mind so I'm doing both. Half sans extra coffee, half with. Bottling tomorrow! This beer already tastes great. Can wait to see how it turns out in a few week, a few months, next year!

Old 12-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #36
jim313
Recipes 

What F.G. did you guys end up with (before the bourbon)? I used WYeast Irish Ale 1084 and it is struggling to get below 1.030, O.G. was 1.092. Primary ferment temp is 63 F.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #37
peregrinebio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't have my notes with me, but mine finished somewhere around 1.030 too. However, I started with an O.G. of 1.11. I used WLP 001 and that is right at the low range of it's attenuation. Your attenuation seems a little low for 1084. What temp did you mash at? How long has it been in primary?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #38
jim313
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrinebio View Post
I don't have my notes with me, but mine finished somewhere around 1.030 too. However, I started with an O.G. of 1.11. I used WLP 001 and that is right at the low range of it's attenuation. Your attenuation seems a little low for 1084. What temp did you mash at? How long has it been in primary?
Yeah I was hoping for 75% attenuation with the 1084 which would put me at 1.022 F.G.

I mashed at 154, it's been in the primary for 8 days now. I made a healthy starter, pumped O2 in the wort and lag time was about 6 hours.

I'll take another reading in 2 days.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #39
peregrinebio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, it seems that you should be able to get lower. I've never used 1084 myself so I don't know how flocculant it is, but you could try rousing the yeast.

A little more time may help too. I remember mine took a couple weeks to fully attenuate.

Cheers

Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #40
jim313
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrinebio View Post
Yeah, it seems that you should be able to get lower. I've never used 1084 myself so I don't know how flocculant it is, but you could try rousing the yeast.

A little more time may help too. I remember mine took a couple weeks to fully attenuate.

Cheers

After 2 weeks it is holding at 1.027 I guess I'm fine with that. Off to the secondary!!

Quick Reply