New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > KBS Clone Recipe in Zymurgy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #111
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Do 'toasted' french oak chips work for this? How about these from midwest?

http://www.amazon.com/French-Toasted-Oak-Chips-oz/dp/B0064OB726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374846771&sr=8-1&keywords=french+oak+chips

Keezer Slot #1 - Centennial Blonde
Keezer Slot #2 - Hefeweizen
Keezer Slot #3 - Two Hearted IPA Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Reapers Mild
On Deck -
Secondary -
Primary - Two Hearted IPA Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #112
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I would try using American oak personally, but certainly no expert. Bourbon is supposed to be aged on new American oak barrels. I think there are probably some different notes that come with French oak compared to American. If you really wanted, you could probably find some whiskey, scotch, etc aged on French oak and some on American to see if you can tell the difference.

Was wondering in the real deal KBS, which I have never had, and which I understand they age in bourbon barrels, do they actually add bourbon or do the idea that the some bourbon leeches into the wood and from there, back into the beer? I'm wondering if the 11.2% ABV comes entirely from the grist or if some comes from whiskey either purposefully added, or diffused into the beer. I would imagine, the bourbon barrels are dry before they rack the beer into them. I wonder whiskey or alcohol from the barrel itself would actually get into to beer. I've heard stories about buying old barrels, and filing them with a couple gallons of water and let them soak and slosh around in the summer rolling them around the yard for a few days, that you end up with a dilute whisky win this manner.

Reason I'm wondering is that 11.2 all grain beer is pretty huge feat to brew and I agree with some folks, that a lower FG is more enjoyable than trying to drink a 1.030 or higher monster like this is likely to produce. I'd probably want to run a very low mash temp or thin things with some corn sugar I'm thinking, but then again, I've never had the real KBS...

I've got a quart mason jar filled with oak chips and soaking in Jameson since march (5 months so far) that I'm probably going to pitch into the brew before bottling. I am hoping the extended contact with the whisky will be all the oak contact time I need. I was planning a 10 gallon finished batch size, but that might be a tall order for a whopping 1.110 OG brew. Not sure if I should use the chips, the whisky, or both to add to the beer.

TD

Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #113
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
I would try using American oak personally, but certainly no expert. Bourbon is supposed to be aged on new American oak barrels. I think there are probably some different notes that come with French oak compared to American. If you really wanted, you could probably find some whiskey, scotch, etc aged on French oak and some on American to see if you can tell the difference.
Quoting myself now... got home and read the recipe posted in zymurgy and indeed it does call for FRENCH oak.

TD

Old 08-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #114
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Ok. Found the article and have been fiddling a bit with the recipe. Seems the srm and IBU aren't what Beersmith calculates, but I don't know where they figure in the srm contribution of the coffee and chocolate, so I am not going to try and adjust the color at all. Hops needed significant adjustment. I also bumped the gravity up to est 1.103 OG, and Beersmith predicts a FG of 1.019 and ABV 11.16 which I would be very happy to achieve.

I plan to brew 10 gallons, which will really be maxing out my mash tun at a hare over 36.6 pounds of grain. I could probably pull off a 1.5 quart / pound, but I might scale back to 1.4 and maybe throw in some extra base malt to bring up to 37 pounds even to make up for any lost points or off peak efficiency ( I'm usually 79-81%).

It seems my planned oak addition ( full mason jar 1 qt) is probably on the heavy handed side of things so I might scale that back or weigh out the specified half ounce (doubling the amount for doubled batch size) in dry chips and eyeball the whisky soaked chips to get a rough idea how much to add. The recommended 2-6 months seems like a long time on the oak to me. Is it incorrect to double the amount of oak for a double in batch size? I have only once previously oaked a beer, and it was far too "oakey" for me, a regular strength mildly hopped IPA. This brew here is much bigger and can probably stand up to more oak I would think, but I certainly don't want to have a repeat of my last experience with oak.

Ditto on the chocolate and coffee. Double amounts for doubled batch size seem right?

TD

Old 09-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #115
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed this up last weekend and my numbers were way low, I had an OG around 1.075 and I am NEVER that low on my brews. Because I am this low, can anyone help me out with what to do for the oaking and bourbon?

My idea is to add a little less oak and bourbon since I will not have nearly as I of a gravity as I should have. If I put the normal amounts in, I think the oak/bourbon flavors would be overbearing?

Any help is appreciated, at this point, I just have to hope that this stout turns out somewhat decent.

Keezer Slot #1 - Centennial Blonde
Keezer Slot #2 - Hefeweizen
Keezer Slot #3 - Two Hearted IPA Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Reapers Mild
On Deck -
Secondary -
Primary - Two Hearted IPA Clone

Old 09-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #116
peregrinebio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
Any help is appreciated, at this point, I just have to hope that this stout turns out somewhat decent.
If you've been soaking your oak cubes (not chips) in bourbon, I'd strain off the bourbon and only add the cubes. Then just periodically taste the beer until it hits your desired oakiness/bourboness. It's going to take a couple of months for those flavors to come out in your beer regardless of the gravity.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #117
TrickyDick

Recipes 

OK.

Need some advice.

I plugged in the data from the Zymurgy article into Beersmith.

I scaled to my batch size.

My Mash tun can't handle the grist!

Looks like I'd need a 21 gallon mash tun just for the grist with no head space!

Maybe I should just brew a smaller batch. How does the math work for decreasing the base malt and adding extract to cover the difference?

Thanks!

TD

Old 11-07-2013, 02:37 AM   #118
mtnagel
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Hmmm... I brewed a 17 lb FBS clone in a 10 gallon pot with BIAB. There wasn't much extra room but it worked.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #119
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Yeah, I just ended up scaling down to a smaller batch size. 8 gallons instead of 11. 26.5 pound of grain approx. my tun hold 15 gallons. The full 11 gal was over 21 gallons.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #120
stompbox
Served up in the backyard

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

When i have that problem, i do as mush mash as i can and thrn just use extract for the amount of 2 row it wont handle.

Quick Reply