Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Kane Head High IPA Clone Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Kane Head High IPA Clone Recipe

I was on vacation on the East Coast (I live in Southern California) and hit up every beer bar and brewery I could find while out there for a few days. One of the two best hoppy beers that I had during my stay was Kane Head High IPA (the other was a Hill Farmstead Double IPA). I was blown away by how tropical and aromatic it was. It was very clean, dry and aromatic...a true quaffer.

I reached out to the brewer and he gave me the recipe. I find it interesting that the base malt is all Pilsner. I'm also surprised at the hops being used because they seem so typical for a west coast style IPA. Head High had a more tropical fruit and floral (but more like s tropical flower if that makes sense) aspect to it than the citrus/pine one would expect from the hops stated in the recipe (maybe it's the yeast/hop interaction?).

He didn't provide OG/FG, but the beer is 6.5%, so that's easy to play around with in your brewing software. He also mentioned that they whirlpool for 45 minutes, so you may need to tweak hop additions based on that information and your personal setup/process.

5 gallon recipe (6.5%)
OG: 15.5P
FG: 3.0P

Malt Bill:
91% Pilsner
3% Crystal 40
3% Carapils
3% Flaked Wheat

Hop Bill:
90 min: ~40BU Columbus
30 min: ~20BU Chinook
10 min: ~10BU Columbus
5 min: ~5 BU Citra

Whirlpool:
1.0 oz Citra
1.0 oz Cascade
0.5 oz Centennial

Dry Hopping: (3-5 Days)
1-2 oz Cascade
1-2 oz Citra
1 oz Columbus

Yeast: White Labs Dry English (007). Pitch at 64 and let rise to 68 over the 5 days of fermentation.

Reason: more info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
NewJersey
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

i just had this over the weekend and would love to brew a clone of it.
i do not know what whirlpooling is nor do i have the software to convert it all.

anyone wanna help a brother out and dumb this down for me. 5 gallon all grain instructions, PLEASE!!

thanks guys!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just updated the recipe with the OG/FG numbers that I received from the brewer.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
NewJersey
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

forgive ny noobness
i was hoping for #s of grain, fermtatoon temos, etc

Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
Battles4Seattle
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Use a program like Brewer's friend (free) or another program to find the exact amounts. The recipe in the original post is for a 5 gallon batch.

Using those percentages I got
10.92 lbs Pilsner
5.76 oz of the other three
OG 1.066 FG 1.017

For BUs you'd put Columbus in at 90 minutes at what AA the hops you get are. So for example if the hops are 15 AA then you'd need ~.75oz Columbus at 90 minutes for ~41 BUs.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Well thanks. Representing one of the better jersey IPAs. I'll have to look into this one.

Quick Reply