Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Juniper Berries

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
everfrost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Juniper Berries

I've done a quick search and found some info here on juniper berries but I still have questions. Here's what I'm looking at. I have a recipe that calls for about 2 oz of juniper branches that are "heavily covered" with berries. Since I don't have access to juniper branches, I was wondering what would be a rough guess as to the quantity of juniper berries alone to use in this recipe. The other question I have is how and when to add them. I've found several sources and recipes with them, but they all seem to have different methods and times of adding them. The recipe I'm using gives no specifics about them. I was hoping to get some personal experiences here to help out with this. Thanks in advance, and if I overlooked a previous topic on this I'm sorry.

Chad

Primary: Air, Air

Secondary: EdWort's Apfelwein, Dragons Milk October Ale, Air, Air

Bottled: Rum Cake Ale, Odin's Dragöl, Vagabond Gingered Ale (PM), Lawnmower Ale

Planned: Fire Rock Pale Ale

Vanquished: Nog Ale, Midnight Harvest Blackberry Wheat, Lake Pepin Porter, Summer Apricot Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale (Extract), Evil Monk Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Blonde Devil

Last edited by everfrost; 11-12-2008 at 12:22 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hmm I don't know about the branches to berry ratio. What I am doing currently is making a juniper berry extract using crushed juniper berries and gin. At the time of kegging I am going to add the extract to taste. I would think that if you are unsure as to how much berries you would need making an extract would be the best route that way you can get your flavor of juniper to your liking.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
ftlstrings
Recipes 

Farmbrewerw, how did your gin adn juice concoction turn out? I just brewed a Sahti and was wondering about adding berries to the primary or something to the beer when I keg it.

Quick Reply