Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Juice added to secondary - Fantom clone - milkshake consistency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Cugel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Juice added to secondary - Fantom clone - milkshake consistency

Hey there!

According to the Beer Captured recipe I posted for Fantome this week, I added 2 quarts pasteurized fruit juice into a keg with 1/4 tsp pectic enzyme and then racked the beer on top.

I went and sampled from the keg after a few days and the small sample I retrieved had a thick consistency - like a milkshake. Not solid and thick but liquidy/soupy very thick beer.

I presume that this is due to the proteins precipitating out of solution due to the pectic enzymes. Should I resuspend the juice by shaking the keg vigorously? Or should I just leave be and pump the soupy-stuff out after a month or so when I'm ready to have a tasty drink?

Tasted very good BTW - tasted way too much of juice though for a beer - but it didn't go to waste!

Relax, don't worry etc. and so on.

Primaries: Old Ale, Barleywine, ESB, Scottish 80/.
Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Kegs: Choc/Coffee Stout, Saison, Dry Stout.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.
Coming soon: Blueberry Mead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Leave it be. It will settle out.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Cugel
Recipes 

OK thanks for the response.

Patient I will be.

Relax, don't worry etc. and so on.

Primaries: Old Ale, Barleywine, ESB, Scottish 80/.
Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Kegs: Choc/Coffee Stout, Saison, Dry Stout.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.
Coming soon: Blueberry Mead.

Quick Reply