Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > jicama beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
MrHookah209
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default jicama beer?

Hello everyone, as the title suggests I'm interested in making a beer using jicama as an adjunct. I tried searching but after a few attempts I didn't find anything at all. I have no particular style in mind but it occurred to me that jicama are high in sugar( I have no idea how fermentable they are) and might work well in beer. So has anyone on here tried this before? Any response is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Jicama is not as high in sugar as say agave or grapes. Jicama is somewhat starchy and sweet; almost like a cross between an apple and a potato. I wouldn't think it was all that fermentable being a root vegetable and all - even though Carrots are a root vegetable, they are sweeter than Jicama.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Jicama is not as high in sugar as say agave or grapes. Jicama is somewhat starchy and sweet; almost like a cross between an apple and a potato. I wouldn't think it was all that fermentable being a root vegetable and all - even though Carrots are a root vegetable, they are sweeter than Jicama.
The starch can be converted to sugar in the mash.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I never said that it could or couldn't be. Just stating that jicama isn't exactly high in sugar. It's quite starchy in addition to the little sugar it has. The OP wanted to know "how" fermentable it was. I wouldn't think it would be as fermentable as agave, carrots, or grapes.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
MrHookah209
Recipes 

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just have try some in my next brew and see how it turns out. I'll post my results here once I try it.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 474 Times on 440 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Outside of a little sugar, Jicama i find to be pretty bland so I'm not really sure it would impart much into a beer and be worthwhile. i would think you would have to use a lot!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
ttelnotsuh
Recipes 

I actually have the same idea man. Been kicking it around for a while now I would suggest trying to add another adjunct that compliments the jicama. Say, lemon zest, ginger etc.

Jicama actually has more sugar in them than most people think! I think people assume that simply because they taste more refreshing than sweet. A medium one actually has about 12 grams of sugar in it. Making it pretty close to carrots in sweetness. That's if you weighed up carrots to equal the weight of a medium jicama.

Not sure how much of that sugar is fermentable or not but I def think it's worth a try.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'd start off with mashing it like pumpkin.

Alternately, you could mash it seperately, like a potato mash for distillation, and add the mash water to the primary or secondary.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Quick Reply