Jasmine/Basmati Rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Long

Reaction score
I'm searching for some recipes using Jasmine or Basmati rice adjuncts.

Is there any information on the net regarding the two? My local co-op has some extremely fragrant Jasmine rice I think would be delicious in an IPA or a Pilsner.

What about wild rice? Anyone tried that? My co-op also has some Himalayan pink rice, would love to try that but not sure I want to spend the $$$.

Thanks!

You could brew a classic american pilsner and use the Jasmine rice instead of regular rice or maize. Also, Elysian makes a Jasmine IPA, but that is using Jasmine flowers. I bet it would go well in a kolsch also.

I do know rice has to be cooked before mashing, but I don't know for how long. You need to gelatinize the starches to let the enzymes get after them in the mash.

BYO has had a few things on wild rice. here are are few I've seen:

Eye in the Pyramid Wild Rice Helles Bock: Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Eye in the Pyramid Wild Rice Helles Bock -
Mad Fishmonger Wild Rice Ale: Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Mad Fishmonger Wild Rice Ale -

I also know that Dog Fish Head brew an ale with ingredient from every continent including ginger from Australia, muscavado sugar from Africa and basmati rice from Asia, called Pangea.

I have brewed with Jasmine rice and the aroma doesn't really come through. After going through a cereal mash, then mashed with the rest of the grains, then boiled for an hour and finally fermented all of the aroma has left. Now when I use rice I just buy the pre-gelatinized flakes, you get the same flavor with none of the trouble.

Back