Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Janet's Brown Ale (Partial Grain)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
mgc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I fell in love with Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot in a visit to the west coast a few weeks ago. I was told this is a similar recipe. I hope so. I picked up the ingredients for this one on the weekend and I plan on having it in the primary by weeks end.

... I love the smell of hops in the fridge waiting for their brew...

Primary: Yoopers not so American Pale Ale
Secondary: notta :(

Kegged: Modified Janet's Brown Ale

Bulk aging: Winter Mead (melo-meth), NB Blue maple wine, and a Traditional mead.
On the shelf/in the fridge: Drank it all :(

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just had a WTF last night, and the hop profiles are quite similar, but the malt is fairly different. Janet's Brown is my favorite homebrew.. you'll love it.

Fall Line Brewing Company

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 2 - Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

Old 05-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
mgc
Recipes 

Today is brew day and I realized I picked up dark LME instead of wheat LME last weekend. I'm not sure how that happened, but I think I am going to toss in 1/2lbs of spelt flakes into the "steeping" grains I have lying around to try and get that wheat-y taste and head retention. I think I might also add 1cup of ground cocoa nibs at the 55min boil point and see if any chocolate notes carry through. I have experimented with cocoa nibs before and find they _very_ slightly add a hint of chocolate. I love chocolate and malt, so hopefully it works out.

Also, for anyone who has tried this recipe, do you do a full boil with all that hops or only a partial boil? The nice thing about a partial boil is that you can pitch the yeast sooner, but I want a good hops profile in this beer so I am willing to do a full boil and wait to pitch my yeast tomorrow. Any comments would be great.

Bulk aging: Winter Mead (melo-meth), NB Blue maple wine, and a Traditional mead.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
mgc
Recipes 

For anyone who cares:
I ended up modifying the recipe slightly, mostly out of necessity, but the wort tastes very promising.

I used 4.4 lbs of light LME and another 3.3lbs of light DME (my LHS was out of Liquid).
I forgot to get Wheat extract, so I added flaked spelt below.

I steeped the following at 66C (150F) for 40min in 3 imperial gals
1.25 lbs CaraPils
1.25 lbs Crystal 40L
0.75 lbs flaked spelt (In a separate grain bag so I could scrape off all that gooey, head building, goodness)
0.5 lbs chocolate

Hops is the same as above, with plans to dry hop the same. However I did add,
1 cup ground cocoa nibs at 5min

I topped up to 5 US gals ~19.5L (I assumed the above recipe was for US measurements)
Five hours of sitting on my stoop it had cooled to 32C and I pitched the yeast, Wyeast 1056 smack packs (x2). I normally build my own culture from dry so this part was an experiment. I have to say, six hours later I already see a healthy head of foam on the brew. Those smack packs are doing wonders, very quick lag time.

My OG was 1.070 at 32C but I stuck my sample in the fridge and took another gravity reading at 1.068. This is a little lower then my Brew Pal calculated (1.071), but not too shabby. This might even be due to the flaked spelt I used, instead of the flaked wheat that I put in the computer.

Smells awesome! Can't wait to get it fermented and into a keg. I'm going to stick it in the back room and turn off the heat. At this time of year, that should get it down to 18C (~65F) for the ferment, to keep the little yeasties happy and crispy clean tasting.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #15
Rankinstein
Recipes 

So I just brewed this beer and took the first gravity reading for it and tasted it and it's so delicious as it is I don't know if I even want to dry hop it at this point. For those of you who have brewed it, what do you think about skipping the dry hop and making it more of a regular brown ale?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #16
elproducto
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankinstein View Post
So I just brewed this beer and took the first gravity reading for it and tasted it and it's so delicious as it is I don't know if I even want to dry hop it at this point. For those of you who have brewed it, what do you think about skipping the dry hop and making it more of a regular brown ale?
Don't call it Janet's Brown if you aren't going to dry hop. Tasty wouldn't have it Seriously though, when you make a beer this hoppy.. seems crazy not to dry hop, as it's such a huge component of the beer.

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

Old 06-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
mgc
Recipes 

I am fairly new at brewing and have a question for the more experienced folk. How long did people leave it in primary, secondary? I left mine in primary for 15 days, secondary for 7 (dry hopping). Racked it one more time and left it for 48 hours, then put it in my keg. I find it did not clear much at all. I still have lots of suspended sediment (cloudy). Do you think this will fix it-self in the kegarator, or should I rack it out of the keg and let it sit longer? I know if I leave it in the keg, the first few pints will draw the stuff that settles out, but do you think it will clear after that?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #18
elproducto
Recipes 

That schedule is fine, but did you cold crash before racking to keg? Did you use Whirlfloc? It will clear out eventually, if you used cal ale yeast. It's quite dark, so you really shouldn't be able to see.

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

Old 06-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #19
mgc
Recipes 

Its more of a matter of taste. No I didn't cold crash (my carboy does not fit in my keg fridge). The last few brews I just racked and racked and racked till clear, but I didn't want to do that with the dry hop this time (something I will note for the future). I used Wyeast 1056 (two smack packs). Do you think I will be ok in a week or so, once its up to carb or should I get it out of the keg?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #20
elproducto
Recipes 

It's a pretty big beer, I'm not sure you would get much flavor from the yeast, especially 1056, but if you worried you can add some gelatin to the keg.

Seriously though, just leave it it will clear up. Plus that beer won't be really good for about 2 weeks in the keg.

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

Quick Reply