New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Jamil's Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Default Jamil's Oatmeal Stout

After listening to Jamil's podcast on oatmeal stout, I decided I needed to make one.

I have a question, though- Jamil's recipe calls for black roasted barley, a darker SRM roasted barley. I also needed to adjust the amounts because I'm making 5 gallons and my efficiency is a bit different.

I'm not a huge roasted barley fan, but I know you need some in an oatmeal stout. I thought I'd drop the roasted barley "down" to the 300 SRM and see how roasty it is.

I want a creamy, slightly roasty, full flavored but not terribly coffee-ish stout. Will this recipe get me there?

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 32.4 IBU
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast-Ale

I think I'll be using Safale S-04 instead of the ESB yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I think that will work just fine. Where did you get the 300L roasted barley?

Old 09-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
I think that will work just fine. Where did you get the 300L roasted barley?
I don't remember (it's from Briess, though, so maybe Northern Brewer?)- but I just looked and I only have about 4 ounces! Argggghhh! So, now I'll be shopping today in Green Bay and just buying whatever they have. Hopefully, they have roasted (in whatever version) or else I'll have to order. Darn!

Old 09-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
big supper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did Jamil's recipe, and from what I remember it is not overly roasty. The crystal in combination with a higher mash temp (can't remember what the recipe calls for) left a fair amount of residual sweetness. I would have preferred more roast and bit drier, but that's me. Good beer none the less!

Edit: I used 500L roasted barley.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

It seems Oatmeal Stouts can vary a bit on the sweetness/dryness scale (even per BJCP) so recipes will vary just based on that. I would likely use a full pound of Crystal (and lighter than 80L) but maybe I like a little more sweetness in an Oatmeal Stout.

I use Simpsons Roasted Barley @ ~550L but it doesn't come across as too roasty imo...maybe because I can use less of it?

EDIT: If you want to de-roastify it a bit perhaps you could sub a little dehusked Carafa Special (Weyermann) or debittered Black (Dingemans) for the RB or Chocolate malt to get some of your color with less roasty bitterness?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 09-29-2009 at 03:07 PM.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
It seems Oatmeal Stouts can vary a bit on the sweetness/dryness scale (even per BJCP) so recipes will vary just based on that. I would likely use a full pound of Crystal (and lighter than 80L) but maybe I like a little more sweetness in an Oatmeal Stout.

I use Simpsons Roasted Barley @ ~550L but it doesn't come across as too roasty imo...maybe because I can use less of it?

EDIT: If you want to de-roastify it a bit perhaps you could sub a little dehusked Carafa Special (Weyermann) or debittered Black (Dingemans) for the RB or Chocolate malt to get some of your color with less roasty bitterness?
Great points, everybody! I have a feeling that if that little LHBS doens't have much in roasted barley, I'd doubt they'd have much debittered or carafa special, but I'll check and see.

Maybe to counteract what I think may be too "roasty", I could use a lighter L crystal and a bit more, that's a great idea. I don't think I have any 60L, but I have tons of 40L. Hmmm. You've given me lots to think about.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yooper, I'm a bit confused . . . It sounds to me like what you want to make is an Oatmeal Porter instead of an Oatmeal Stout. I think that's a perfectly respectable thing to do. It just sounds like what you are aiming for isn't really a stout. Why not go for a porter with some oatmeal?

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
Duster72
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I played this game with Jamil's Dry Stout recipe because I'm not crazy about the roastiness either. So I subbed some Chocolate 350 for some of his roast barley.

Guess what - it wasn't roasty enough.

I think Jamil's recipes are pretty damn tough to beat. I would make it to recipe and then adjust if necessary.

What you're making is a ton sweeter than my dry stout and you're using less than half the dark grains I used. I don't think it's going to have any roast at all, putting you more in the oatmeal porter area, as suggested above.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My RB is Fawcett and is nice and dark. Carafa II would be the best sub, but if you can't get that... chocolate isn't gonna do it, it'll end up a porter rather than a stout. Good, but not roasty enough.

With S-04 I would mash at 156*F. That yeast is a beast. The Fullers ESB yeast is gonna be hard to beat, Thames Valley (Wyeast 1275) would be another good choice if you don't mind going liquid. To me S-04 leaves too thin of a beer for this style unless you add some malto-dextrin powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 09-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkling View Post
Yooper, I'm a bit confused . . . It sounds to me like what you want to make is an Oatmeal Porter instead of an Oatmeal Stout. I think that's a perfectly respectable thing to do. It just sounds like what you are aiming for isn't really a stout. Why not go for a porter with some oatmeal?
No, I want a stout! I just don't like the "coffee"ness bitterness in some of the roasty ones. I like the roast, in small amounts, but I'm not a fan of the bitter "bite" that a coffee like finish can give. I don't like the black coffee finish, I guess, to be more precise.

I went to the LHBS in Green Bay, and they only had the darkest black roasted barley. Well, I have to assume that's what it was. It said "Briess" on it, and when I asked, he didn't know. I looked at it, and it's a bit lighter in color than black patent, but not much.

So, I'm doing to do his recipe as written, with the black roasted barley. I will make it next week, since I'm on the road for work this week.

Quick Reply