Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Jamil's Belgian Strong Dark - Can You Brew It

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypo
From everything I have ever heard or read on the subject I would ne er formulate a BSD like Jamil did. I would go simpler grain bill and more sugar. Jamil himself said if he were to write that recipe today it would be very different. However he swears it works. So I tried it.

It was awesome. So malty and complex with lots of dark fruit flavors. It is a good recipe as is. The beauty of honebrewing is you can change it as you see fit.
This is an important point. Ultimately you should brew what you want. If you want to brew Jamils brew, then you may want to brew it as is. Those darker malts you tweaked may have brought the color more in line with what his recipe indicated, but they also add dark fruit flavors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
slapmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have to second or third what komodo and dannypo said. I have made this recipe about 6 or 7 times. I have lost track. I try to keep it in regular rotation, sometimes i like to oak it as well as rest it on cacoa nibs. But simply by itself, with some age, it is a great beer. It is jamils recipe, so you cant really go wrong. I love to brew belgians, and when i am looking to make an unquestionably good bsd, i go to his recipe by default.
I can assure you that if you simply follow his recipe to the letter, you will not be disappointed.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Jamil's said many times that he wrote the recipe a long time ago, and he would do it much differently now. But the name "Brew Like a Homebrewer" is a reference to Brew Like a Monk, and in fact Stan H was one of the judges when it was awarded a gold.

Here's some more reading

Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
rayfound
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

So, first, thanks for all the advice guys. I guess I just couldn't stand the idea of a big beer like this finishing at 1024-1026, so i switched it up a bit.

I used the basic malt-bill for Jamil's Dubbel, and scaled it up/tweaked a bit to make it bigger and a bit darker.

Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 66.7 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.3 %
1 lbs Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.1 %
12.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.8 %
12.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.8 %
1 lbs Candi Syrup D-90 (90.0 SRM) Sugar 6 5.1 %
1 lbs Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7 5.1 %
2.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 65.0 min Hop 8 25.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 65.0 min Hop 9 6.1 IBUs
1.50 g Seeds of Paradise (Boil 15.0 mins) Spice 10 -
1.50 g Seeds of Paradise (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 11 -
1.0 pkg Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) 2L Starter Stir Plate

Beersmith Estimated 1097 - I only got 1093, so my efficiency was off a bit (though I had expected this and set the target a bit high)

After 12 days I am at 1012. temperature was 64-67 during initial fermentation, then I've ramped up a degree per day such that it is now finishing up at 74F. Substantial blowoff, actually, my blowoff container formed a yeast cake!

Still hoping it comes down a few points (Beersmith forecasts 1009), as I am terrified of making cloying belgians, but i suspect it would be OK where it is. No off-flavors noted in the gravity sample. Smells like chimay.

Still has the fairly complex malt bill, but with a drier finish than Jamil's Recipe. Added the Grains of Paradise to give a little hint of spice complexity. Didn't really taste them in the gravity sample.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
sqhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would not worry about it being too cloying since you are already at 1012. As long as it has finished fermenting you will be fine. Check the gravity again in afew days to make sure it is finished.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
bigmunchez
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I'm curious... Has anyone brewed this recipe from the show and also tasted Heretic Torment? Are they similar? I've been looking to clone torment but there's not much info out there..

Old 07-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmunchez View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back, but I'm curious... Has anyone brewed this recipe from the show and also tasted Heretic Torment? Are they similar? I've been looking to clone torment but there's not much info out there..
Send JZ an email and ask him. I have yet to hear of him refusing if asked nicely.

Quick Reply