Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Jalapeņo Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 03:31 AM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did several batches of Jalapeno beer a while back. They were excellent, but too hot for my tastes.

In all truthfulness, I never could finish one bottle because of the heat (no matter how cold it was).

What I did was place a small pepper into each bottle. Prior to putting them in though I made several slices down the sides and cut the very tip off the bottom. I did not sterilize them. I just ran them under hot water before my slicing.

I made a couple of batches for some Mexican friends of mine to take to a wedding reception and got more orders. Because homebrew is illegal to sell I just had them pay for the supplies.

My wife and I just picked up some pepper seeds yesterday for the garden this spring. I will be brewing another batch again.

Later.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #12
plantnerd
Recipes 

Default Pepper Beer

I recently began brewing, and wanted to do something with peppers as well. For my initial batch (1st ever) I had a Munton's Ale (of some sort, notes are at home) Kit. At the recommendation of the LHBS, I simply added cleaned Serrano Chile peppers, slit down the side, at bottling time. One pepper in each bottle. I tried one the other day, and it had a little kick. My only regret is only doing a 6-pack, as it was my initial brew, I used (at the recommendation of the LHBS) the 2# of corn sugar to the kit, instead of malt, and boy, it could use a bit more non-cidery flavor!

Old 02-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #13
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnerd
I recently began brewing, and wanted to do something with peppers as well. For my initial batch (1st ever) I had a Munton's Ale (of some sort, notes are at home) Kit. At the recommendation of the LHBS, I simply added cleaned Serrano Chile peppers, slit down the side, at bottling time. One pepper in each bottle. I tried one the other day, and it had a little kick. My only regret is only doing a 6-pack, as it was my initial brew, I used (at the recommendation of the LHBS) the 2# of corn sugar to the kit, instead of malt, and boy, it could use a bit more non-cidery flavor!

One thing you could do is let the pepper beer sit a while. I've had pepper beer sit almost 1 year. In the meanwhile you'll probably make more batches. If one happens to be more on the bitter side due to over hopping then you could mix the two (pouring half a bottle in each glass would give you 2 beers instead of one and the heat/flavor will be in both).

I don't know why you chose to use so much sugar, but cut it out. Sugar is going to give the cidery taste to your beer.

Use rice solids if you want to add alcohol but no color. American beer is brewed this way, a lot of it.

Happy brewing!

Old 02-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #14
plantnerd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
One thing you could do is let the pepper beer sit a while. I've had pepper beer sit almost 1 year. In the meanwhile you'll probably make more batches. If one happens to be more on the bitter side due to over hopping then you could mix the two (pouring half a bottle in each glass would give you 2 beers instead of one and the heat/flavor will be in both).

I don't know why you chose to use so much sugar, but cut it out. Sugar is going to give the cidery taste to your beer.

Use rice solids if you want to add alcohol but no color. American beer is brewed this way, a lot of it.

Happy brewing!
The only reason I used so much corn sugar was based on the advice of the LHBS. And, by the way, it has a VERY cidery taste! From now on, it's only malt extract/specialty grains (until I start with AG) I may have not been too clear, as the pepper beer is really the only drinkable beer I have from the 1st batch, but I will keep it in mind if/when I have something that gets too hoppy or something.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #15
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnerd
The only reason I used so much corn sugar was based on the advice of the LHBS. And, by the way, it has a VERY cidery taste! From now on, it's only malt extract/specialty grains (until I start with AG) I may have not been too clear, as the pepper beer is really the only drinkable beer I have from the 1st batch, but I will keep it in mind if/when I have something that gets too hoppy or something.

Thanks!

OK. Here's one way to save your beer - all of it:

Boil 3-4 C of water and about a 1/2 oz of hops (pellets) for 10 minutes until all the hops are dissolved.

Open one of your beers and pour ALL OF IT into a glass. Get an eye dropper. If you don't have an eye dropper you could always put the end of a straw into the hop tea and place your finger over the end to create a vacuum. You know, you must have done this with a soda from Micky D's plenty of times.

Be sure to strain as much of the hops out of the tea as possible. If you can't then don't worry it'll just drop to the bottoom of the bottle and you'll have to do some "one-pours" to keep your beer clear. "One pours" are when you pour your beer slowly into a glass without stopping and stop when the sediment heads towards the neck.

Start with about 1/2 inch of tea in the straw and add it to the glass. Give it a slight stir and sample it. If it needs more hops to mellow out the cidery flavors then add more, but make sure you remember how much you added to the full glass. When you find a good flavor (not so sweet/not so bitter) balance then you can add the same amount to each bottle and re-cap. Make sure you mark the straw so that you can give each bottle the same amount of tea. The problem here is overhopping. You don't want to ruin your beer in the other direction.

You may have to remove the same amount of beer from each bottle that you will put in to compensate for the space.

If they have already carbonated then chances are there is enough sugar left in to re-carbonate itself. So I wouldn't sweat that.

Let them sit for a couple of days and give one a try. Be sure to get back to us and let us know how they turned out.

Happy brewing!

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 02-04-2005 at 06:24 PM.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:21 PM   #16
plantnerd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
OK. Here's one way to save your beer - all of it:

Boil 3-4 C of water and about a 1/2 oz of hops (pellets) for 10 minutes until all the hops are dissolved.

Open one of your beers and pour ALL OF IT into a glass. Get an eye dropper. If you don't have an eye dropper you could always put the end of a straw into the hop tea and place your finger over the end to create a vacuum. You know, you must have done this with a soda from Micky D's plenty of times.

Be sure to strain as much of the hops out of the tea as possible. If you can't then don't worry it'll just drop to the bottoom of the bottle and you'll have to do some "one-pours" to keep your beer clear. "One pours" are when you pour your beer slowly into a glass without stopping and stop when the sediment heads towards the neck.

Start with about 1/2 inch of tea in the straw and add it to the glass. Give it a slight stir and sample it. If it needs more hops to mellow out the cidery flavors then add more, but make sure you remember how much you added to the full glass. When you find a good flavor (not so sweet/not so bitter) balance then you can add the same amount to each bottle and re-cap. Make sure you mark the straw so that you can give each bottle the same amount of tea. The problem here is overhopping. You don't want to ruin your beer in the other direction.

You may have to remove the same amount of beer from each bottle that you will put in to compensate for the space.

If they have already carbonated then chances are there is enough sugar left in to re-carbonate itself. So I wouldn't sweat that.

Let them sit for a couple of days and give one a try. Be sure to get back to us and let us know how they turned out.

Happy brewing!
Thanks!

I had never heard of or thought of using that trick, but it sounds like a good plan. I have never been one to shy away from the hops, but what alpha% would you recommend? The only hops that I have used thus far have been Columbus, Nugget, and Fuggles.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:17 PM   #17
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

You want a nice aromatic hop...the Fuggles would be OK or some Cascade or Amarillo or whatever. You don't need high alphas, just a good flavor/aroma hop if you only boil for 10 minutes.

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 02-04-2005, 10:52 PM   #18
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janx
You want a nice aromatic hop...the Fuggles would be OK or some Cascade or Amarillo or whatever. You don't need high alphas, just a good flavor/aroma hop if you only boil for 10 minutes.

It's all personal preference, I agree, but you are going for a flavorful bitterness here.

I wouldn't necessarily use an "expensive" hop either since the overall flavor will be overpowered by the heat/flavor of the pepper.

I'm glad I gave you something to think about as far as saving your brews.

Good luck...and keep us informed as to how it turns out. Someone else will surely be in need of the same info someday.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:22 AM   #19
Mac
Recipes 

I'm new to the forum, and usually just a lurker, but...

A couple weeks ago, my girlfriend and I went to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, Washington state. The local microbrewery, San Juan Brewing Co., runs an, "Ale Diablo". Man, that stuff was great. Cilantro, anaheim, jalapeno, habanero, and serrano peppers were used to flavor the brew, and it was great! Had a start like a good pale, middle with just the right amount of pepper (not heat, really, just the pepper flavor), and a finish with just a bit of a 'bite' to it.

If anyone is in the seattle area, I really recommend stopping by. I was able to talk to one of the brewers, i think his name was Dave, and he was a really, really , nice guy. Total hippie until you start talking about brewing, I think he really knows his stuff.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:32 AM   #20
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pepper beer

How many habeneros to add to a pepper beer?

Quick Reply