Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Jalapeņo Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 10:27 PM   #1
pilkinga
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Jalapeņo Beer

A friend from work mentioned having some jalapeno beer before. Has anyone else ever heard of this or seen a recipe. If you have seen a recipe I wouldn't mind link/recipe as I might try it. Seems like you could soak peppers in fermenter for a little spicy brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2004, 10:46 PM   #2
pilkinga
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't read professor's last post in strange recipes until after I created this thread. Can you post a link to the pepper stout/porter?

Old 12-10-2004, 11:32 PM   #3
The Professor

Recipes 

Here you go. This is actally from "The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing" but looks like a great recipe. Don't be turned off by the name. I am willing to bet that anyone that makes this will love it. Maybe I will make it next time I do a porter (I have one fermenting now) and post my findings.

Enjoy.

Tumultuous Porter (Goat Scrotum Ale)
This recipe is for a dark, spicy porter ale. The original version of the recipe is from Charlie Papazian's homebrew book, but after trying a batch Charlie's way I modified the recipe a bit to make a little less bitter and increase the body a bit.

This beer has lots of different ingredients and is a lot of fun to make (and to drink....burp!.....hic!!).

Ingredients
Specialty Malts: Crystal Malt 10L 1 lb
Black Patent Malt 1/4 lb
Roasted Barley 6 oz
Malt Extract: American Classic Dark 6.6 lb
Other Sugars: Domino Brown Sugar 3/4 lb
Dark Molasses 3/4 lb
Corn Sugar 1 lb
Lactose 1/4 lb
Boiling Hops: Hallertauer Leaf a5.6 1 3/4 oz
Finishing Hops: Hallertauer Leaf 1 oz
Aromatic Hops: Hallertauer Leaf 1 1/2 oz
Brewing Licorice: 2 inches
Brewing Licorice: 2 inches
Gypsum 1/2 tsp
Water Crystals 1/2 tsp
Irish Moss 1 tsp
Yeast: Whitbread Ale 14 g

1-10 Szechwan chili peppers (very optional)-I guess this is thrown into the boil. I would reccomend starting with 1 pepper and then tasting to see how hot it is.

Basic Recipe
About two hours before you plan on making the beer, make a yeast starter. In a small pot, bring 2-3 cups of water to a boil. Dissolve in about one tablespoon of malt extract and boil for a minute or two. Put on the lid, remove it from the heat, and let it cool. When room temparature, put in a mason jar and add the yeast. By the time you're done making the beer, your yeast should be very bubbly and active. When recipe calls for you to pitch the yeast, pour the contents of the jar into the fermenter. This gives the yeast a head start, which reduces the probability of any undesireable organisms contaminating your beer.

Crush the crystal malt, roasted barley, and black patent malt Crush the licorice.

Add Crystal Malt to 1 gallon of water, bring to 150-degrees, cover, and let stand for one hour. Sparge into boiler; use enough water (150-degrees) for runoff to be clear.

Dissolve malt extract, sugars & molasses into the water in the boiler. Stir & bring to a boil; then add 1/4 of the boiling hops and licorice. Let boil 15 minutes.

Add 1/2 of the boiling hops. Let boil 15 more minutes.

Add the dark malt and roasted barley. Boil 15 more minutes.

Add the last 1/4 of the boiling hops and the Irish Moss. Boil 13 more minutes.

Add the Flavor Hops. Boil for two more minutes.

Cool, Sparge immediately into fermenter, and pitch the yeast when it's about 80-degrees.

Notes
Boil Times Wort: 60 mins
F. Hops: Last 2 Mins
Bitter Units 31.76

Specific Gravity
(Expected) 1.067
Specific Gravity
(Beginning) 1.062
Specific Gravity
(Ending) 1.016
% Alcohol 6.3
Priming 1/2 tsp corn suger per bottle

Rating the Finished Beer
CLARITY
Cloudy: 1, Hazy: 2, Clear: 3, Brilliant: 4 2
HEAD RETENTION
None: 1, Most Desirable: 3 3
AROMA (Malt) / BOUQUET (Hops)
Poor: 1-3, Good: 4-8 7
TASTE (Hop/Malt; Bitter/Sweet Balance)
Poor: 1-4, Good: 5-10 8
AFTERTASTE
Poor: 1-2, Good: 3-5 5
BUBBLES (carbonation felt in mouth)
Poor: 1-2, Good: 3-5 5
BODY (feel; full or light-body as appropriate)
Poor: 1-2, Good: 3-5 4
OVERALL IMPRESSION (drinkability)
Poor: 1-4, Good: 5-10 7
OTHER VARIABLES (list):

TOTAL SCORE (of 50 Possible Points): 41

Old 01-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
Mark
Recipes 

Default Peckhams in Edinburgh

I once had jalepno lager from Peckhams in Morningside, Edinburgh.
it was in a big glassbottle of mexican lager (like sol or similars) andreen had a green jalepno in it, so the flavour leached out in the bottle rather than being brewed. it was about 5% ABV and was pretty firey and hot, man I loved it! and it made you feel a bit mental, all that fire y'know!

Old 01-18-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
atcsat64
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilkinga
A friend from work mentioned having some jalapeno beer before. Has anyone else ever heard of this or seen a recipe. If you have seen a recipe I wouldn't mind link/recipe as I might try it. Seems like you could soak peppers in fermenter for a little spicy brew.
I used to occaisionally drink Chile Beer when I lived in West Texas. It came from a small brewery somewhere in New Mexico. It's been several years since I researched it, but I believe the jalapenos (small enough to fit in the bottle) were quick-boiled just before bottling (over boiling causes the skin to peel off) and every bottle got a pepper. No mention of any other peppers in the brewing process. And the beer WAS a mexican style like Corona or Dos Eqes.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Man, I'll take my fiery foods and my beer separately thanks very much

I've had a few incarnations of chile beer. A local pub, Six Rivers Brewery, makes one. They have never been to my liking, even though I love hot food.

The pepper-per-bottle approach sounds fun, though, and it would have style

Janx

Old 01-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
tipsymonkey
Recipes 

I was just reading about this in the joy of homebrewing the other day. It seems like an interesting idea, and I want to try it out. There are so many thing that I want to try out, but soo soo little time!!! Maybe i need another set up so i can have 2 brewing at once.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:10 PM   #8
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsymonkey
I was just reading about this in the joy of homebrewing the other day. It seems like an interesting idea, and I want to try it out. There are so many thing that I want to try out, but soo soo little time!!! Maybe i need another set up so i can have 2 brewing at once.
Definitely a good idea. We always try to have two yeasts going at once. That way you can do something experiemental (like a jalapeno beer) and something more straightforward (and drinkable) .

Old 01-25-2005, 04:30 AM   #9
the rusty knight
Recipes 

Default Jalapeno Beer

The November issue of "Brew Your Own" magazine has a Best of Show recipe for Green Chili Wheat Beer.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
rooftopbrew
Recipes 

I've tried two different commercially brewed Jalapeños beers and found them both disgusting. One was too hot to enjoy, and the other was just bad. Given these results I cannot condone the brewing of a Jalapeno beer.

However, I've tried a Thai Chili Porter that was delicious, and Rogue's Mexi-Cali ale is also great. But both of those have the pepper as a minor player, so maybe if you just used a small amount of Jalapeños you'd be ok. I have no idea what that threshold is though.

Quick Reply