Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Jai Alai Cedar Aged IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #21
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I know right? It would be nice to just be able to buy them. I contacted Cigar City but they weren't willing to divulge any information.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #22
RobotWerewolfLabs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I contacted The Barrel Mill, alleged supplier to Cigar City. They have commercial size spirals, but these won't fit in a carboy. I'm guessing that if you broke it into pieces you could fit it in a bucket, though.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #23
burtonbaton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So those of you who have made this, any suggestions for mash temp and other things that aren't in this thread so far? I'm thinking about making this next weekend. Might oak it rather than cedar. I was lucky enough to get to try White Oak Jai Alai while I was in Tampa, and it was amazing.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #24
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotWerewolfLabs View Post
I contacted The Barrel Mill, alleged supplier to Cigar City. They have commercial size spirals, but these won't fit in a carboy. I'm guessing that if you broke it into pieces you could fit it in a bucket, though.
The 48" ones cost a grip though as I recall. BOHICA.
On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #25
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonbaton View Post
So those of you who have made this, any suggestions for mash temp and other things that aren't in this thread so far? I'm thinking about making this next weekend. Might oak it rather than cedar. I was lucky enough to get to try White Oak Jai Alai while I was in Tampa, and it was amazing.
My bad. I'll update it with the mash temp. I mashed at 154F for 60 min.

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Old 12-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #26
WishYouWereBeer
Recipes 

Last night, I visited a cigar shop to see if they had any Spanish Cedar or knew of a place to get any. At first they looked at me rather quizzically, but then a light came on with the woman behind the counter. I followed her into the humidor where she proceeded to go around to each cigar box and pull out a cigar-sized piece of Spanish Cedar from about every tenth box. Apparently these cedar cubes are used as spacers when a cigar is missing... She just gave me about 6 of them, which I figured was enough for this beer. I bought a couple of cigars out of gratitude (and because it was a nice night for a stogie).

The guy at the register told me to bring him a couple of bottles when this beer was finished and he would trade me for a cigar or two...sounded like a fair trade.

Just wanted to you guys know in case you're still looking for an easy source for Spanish Cedar. They smell great.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #27
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thats cool..Actually I tried the same thing..I went into a cigar shop and asked if they had any loose cedar. He said no and once I said it was for brewing he looked at me even funnier. Thats cool though that they hooked you up. Please let me know how it turns out.

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #28
bbb63
Recipes 

I just had the White Oak Jai Alai I found that the wood took the edge off, almost too restrained. If I brewed this I would bump the hops up slightly, expect it to be very tropical however.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #29
kjjohns5
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb63 View Post
I just had the White Oak Jai Alai I found that the wood took the edge off, almost too restrained. If I brewed this I would bump the hops up slightly, expect it to be very tropical however.
THANK YOU for saying that! I was at Cigar City's tasting room a couple of weeks ago with about a dozen other people at the bar. I was the ONLY one that said the white oak jai alai was tropical. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy but I continued to say that it smelled and tasted super tropical.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #30
WishYouWereBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjohns5 View Post
THANK YOU for saying that! I was at Cigar City's tasting room a couple of weeks ago with about a dozen other people at the bar. I was the ONLY one that said the white oak jai alai was tropical. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy but I continued to say that it smelled and tasted super tropical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb63 View Post
You guys are both referencing the white oak version. Have you had the spanish cedar (humidor) version? If so, how do you think the difference in wood species affects the final character? Do you think the white oak adds more of a "tropical" finish than the spanish cedar would?

Quick Reply