Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Jai Alai Cedar Aged IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
kjjohns5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cercueil View Post
I had a hard time finding spanish cedar so I wound up ordering it online at amazon. It was about $10 with shipping and came in 3 days so that was good. There are specialty wood stores near me but unfortunately they are mostly for contractors so the wood was in 9 foot by 5 foot sheets and about $50. The dimensions of the wood are 1/4'' x 1-1/2'' x 24''. The recipe calls for 13 inches but the wood was so thin that I cut it in half and put all the wood in. The smell of it wasn’t that powerful. Definitely had a little smokey-ness to it but not as powerful as American cedar. Cigar city dry hops with Simcoe and cold crashes it for 2 weeks. As per the brewer he likes the pickup of flavor on the dry hops when the beer is cold. They lower the temp 10 degrees ever day until is reaches 34 and keep it there for the remainder of the 2 weeks. I am going to leave the wood and dry hops at room temp for 1 week and then crash for 1 week. I don’t have a temp controller so it will be at refrig temp for the week.

Wayne alsodry hops with Citra. He loves this hop. When I spoke to him for the first time a couple of months ago, he told me to try using Citra with Simcoe because "they do amazing stuff together."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Tasting Update - The beer came out good but definitely no where near the commercial version. I did mess up a few things so I am curious to see when Chefchris taps his what he thought of it. I forgot the gypsum and fermented too high so I got that alcohol hotness too it but it has since subsided so thats good. You can taste the spanish cedar slightly but I'm curious if a) I should have aged it longer than 2 weeks or b) maybe the spanish cedar was old as it didn't have that nice cigar box smell to it. It was kind of mellow. For some reason the beer doesn't taste as citrusy as I remember when I tried the commercial version but maybe that was also me messing up the fermentation temp.

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Old 07-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

from samples mine tastes pretty dead on. I kegged it the day before I went on vacation so I'll try it in a couple days when I get back.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So what was the verdict on this - how did it come out?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:56 AM   #15
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

How authentic is this recipe? I love this beer and I would love to make it as none of the Cigar City stuff is available in my state. Anyone know a source for spanish cedar infusion spirals?

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #16
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I think when it comes to cedar you have to figure out a custom solution. The spirals really exist for winemaking.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #17
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

Yeah but in this months Zymurgy, they show all the NHC 2010 winners and the wood aged category mentions a spanish cedar infusion spiral so they must exist.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 11-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
RobotWerewolfLabs
Recipes 

Any updates on where to get cedar spirals? This beer has more or less instantly taken a spot in my list of all time favorites.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #19
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

I've taken to making my own, I found some stock at Woodcraft and my buddy has a lathe and we will be turning a few the Friday after Thanksgiving. Wish me luck.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
I've taken to making my own, I found some stock at Woodcraft and my buddy has a lathe and we will be turning a few the Friday after Thanksgiving. Wish me luck.
Sounds good to me. As long as the spanish cedar smells good it will hopefully impart a nice flavor in the beer. It would be nice to see the spirals for sale though. I dont see them anywhere.

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Quick Reply