Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I've gone off my rocker: Garden Brew Brainstorm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
Dirtyoldguy366
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I've gone off my rocker: Garden Brew Brainstorm

While drinking a Samuel Smith Organic Lager, I was strongly reminded of a fresh garden salad. It made me think of bitter/spicy greens, turnips, carrots, sweet peas, bell peppers, and had a fresh crispness and strong earthy tones. This got me thinking about expanding on the flavors I sensed and making a beer themed around these flavors and possibly incorporating a few of them as actual ingredients.

Options I've thought of:

Sweet peas, beans, or other starchy, slightly sweet vegetable in the mash.

Use some corn in the mash.

Steep some dried bell peppers, yellow squash, turnips, carrots, peas, beans, combination of the above, etc. in water and add the resulting liquid/vegetable soup post fermentation. (I've got access to a bunch of these from my mom's garden... dehydrated garden veggies can be made into a hell of a soup with a little bullion, some instant barley, and boiling water!)

Add fresh bell peppers,turnips, carrots, sweet peas, etc. similar to a fruit addition.

Maybe do it as a saison, as i've heard this is a summery beer and it has some residual sweetness and fruity character.... (as well as fitting the summertime theme, and time it would be brewed if fresh ingredients were used)

Or do it as a lager or light ale (keep the vegetable flavors subdued) with noble hops for earthiness??

Or go nuts and make a barleywine that tries to be a long simmered vegetable stew with flavors of cooked carrot, oats, peas, celery? maybe even super faint garlic???

Just thinking out loud as usual here... Have I gone completely crazy? I think I may have.... Discuss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Definitely crazy.

I would still do it. I would just say don't go with the garlic.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
Dirtyoldguy366
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yea garlic's probably a bad idea.... what about celery? Its got a nice aromatic component.

Coriander?

Black pepper?

Quick Reply