Originally Posted by prolific
lots of hops... what did the OG end up at?
It was actually a bit of a disaster. For some reason my Beersmith software was assuming a mash efficiency of 93%. I have no idea why, and I haven't figured it out yet (I have only used it 3 times).
So, it had calculated a bre-boil gravity of 1.059 and I actually got around 67% efficiency giving me only 1.043. I quickly realized what had happened, but unfortunately I didn't have any dme or anything laying around, so I added 10 more ounces of sugar and sacrificed some volume by doing a 90 minute boil. This gave me an OG of 1.075, which still about ten points lower than I had expected.
Then, on top of that, the two ounces of whole leaf hops ate up about an extra gallon of wort it seems, so I ended up with probably two gallons going into the fermentor.
At the end of the day, this was really just a test batch for a full 5 gallon imperial IPA that I want to do, so it's not a total loss. The main thing, is I wanted to see how these hops would be together. And who knows, maybe all that sugar will make for a really dry, drinkable beer.