Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Its March...time for a Marzen
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ColoHox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,166
Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Default Its March...time for a Marzen

There aren't too many Marzen recipes on here, let alone with rye, and I love rye in my beers.

The recipe below is the "wedding march" marzen recipe from Beersmith, although I want to add rye, similar to Great Divide's Hoss.

Any comments on the recipe itself? I was planning on replacing the 0.5lbs of wheat malt with rye malt. I don't know what percentage of rye GD uses in Hoss, but 5-10% is probably plenty.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 40.91 %
2.25 lb Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 20.45 %
2.25 lb Vienna Malt (Weissheimer) (3.0 SRM) Grain 20.45 %
0.50 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.60 %] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.60 %] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
1 Pkgs White Labs WLP820 Octoberfest - Marzen Yeast-Ale

__________________

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

ColoHox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,061
Liked 4470 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Default

Amber malt, biscuit malt, and victory malt is very weird in a Marzen.

Typically, the grains are Vienna malt with some Munich in there for maltiness. Pilsner malt is common as well. I guess the victory malt is in there for the "toastiness"?

The biscuit and amber malt would give a drying finish, and I don't think I would like that. Even some crystal malt would be ok, as long as it's not too much.

There are a bunch of recipes in the recipe database, and I think several of them look better as a Marzen/Oktoberfest than this one, to be honest.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
GarageDweller
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 548
Liked 95 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Default

Hoss is delcious and the color is awesome! Bright red, brilliantly clear. yummm

__________________

SMALL AXE BREWING
"If you are a big tree, we are a small axe, ready to cut you down."-Bob Marley

GarageDweller is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ColoHox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,166
Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Amber malt, biscuit malt, and victory malt is very weird in a Marzen.

Typically, the grains are Vienna malt with some Munich in there for maltiness. Pilsner malt is common as well. I guess the victory malt is in there for the "toastiness"?

The biscuit and amber malt would give a drying finish, and I don't think I would like that. Even some crystal malt would be ok, as long as it's not too much.

There are a bunch of recipes in the recipe database, and I think several of them look better as a Marzen/Oktoberfest than this one, to be honest.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/
I thought that recipe looked a little over-complicated, they even did a decoction mash. Which, with those specialty grains would be like chewing on a dry biscuit.

I like your recipe much better, Yooper. Thank you! Not sure why I glossed over that to begin with. I see you occasionally use rye, have you ever used it to your recipe?

8 Pounds Vienna Malt
1 pound munich malt
8 oz crystal 80L
8 oz caramunich malt
1 oz Tettnang (40 minutes)
1 oz Hallertau (30 minutes)

I think I would prefer it to be spicy/malty, would that mean replacing the crystal with the rye, or as an additional component?
__________________

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

ColoHox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,061
Liked 4470 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox View Post
I thought that recipe looked a little over-complicated, they even did a decoction mash. Which, with those specialty grains would be like chewing on a dry biscuit.

I like your recipe much better, Yooper. Thank you! Not sure why I glossed over that to begin with. I see you occasionally use rye, have you ever used it to your recipe?

8 Pounds Vienna Malt
1 pound munich malt
8 oz crystal 80L
8 oz caramunich malt
1 oz Tettnang (40 minutes)
1 oz Hallertau (30 minutes)

I think I would prefer it to be spicy/malty, would that mean replacing the crystal with the rye, or as an additional component?
I've never used rye in a lager, so I can't really say. Maybe look at some roggenbier recipes, to get an idea of the level of rye in a similar recipe? I love rye, but have only done rye APAs and IPAs and never anything else with it.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,671
Liked 684 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 621

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox View Post
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 40.91 %
2.25 lb Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 20.45 %
2.25 lb Vienna Malt (Weissheimer) (3.0 SRM) Grain 20.45 %
0.50 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
IMHO, 7 different malts is far too many. Way too complicated, there's no way you'll be able to detect the subtlties of each malt in the finished beer. I'd simplify the malt bill down to no more than 4 malts.
__________________
kombat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ColoHox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,166
Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
IMHO, 7 different malts is far too many. Way too complicated, there's no way you'll be able to detect the subtlties of each malt in the finished beer. I'd simplify the malt bill down to no more than 4 malts.
Ya, I am going with Yooper's recipe instead. Plus rye somewhere.

That recipe was wayyy too much.
__________________

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

ColoHox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ColoHox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,166
Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Default

This is the recipe I ended up with:
6.5lbs Vienna
3lbs Munich
3lbs Rye
0.5lbs Crystal 80
0.5lbs Caramunich
1.0oz Tettnang (40min)
1.0oz Hallertauer (30min)
WLP820 Oktoberfest/Marzen
60min-154 degree mash OG 1.059

It is fermenting now at 50 degrees until ~1.020, then D-rest.

Now I need to find another 6er of Hoss to do a side by side.

__________________

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

ColoHox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
cheezydemon3
Registered User
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: louisville
Posts: 12,967
Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Default

Not many recipes????

You do know that oktoberfest (a festival in SEPTEMBER) is really just the popular misnomer for a maerzen?

In other words.....all of those oktoberfest recipes?....Marzen (or at least hopefully)

__________________
cheezydemon3 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ColoHox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,166
Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Not many recipes????

You do know that oktoberfest (a festival in SEPTEMBER) is really just the popular misnomer for a maerzen?

In other words.....all of those oktoberfest recipes?....Marzen (or at least hopefully)
Ya ya, I meant a rye marzen of course, ya that's it.

Aaand, since I brewed it in March, it is definitely a Marzen and not an oktoberfest.
__________________

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

ColoHox is offline
cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with this Octoberfest/Marzen....for March then lager voodoocurt Extract Brewing 55 04-12-2014 10:14 PM
Missed March, looking for a true Marzen Ale for October Budzien Recipes/Ingredients 11 06-24-2012 03:44 PM
First Time Laggering, First time making a Marzen Dycokac Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 02-28-2012 01:33 PM
March H315HF vs March 809HS bumstigedy Equipment/Sanitation 9 03-27-2011 06:47 PM
It's March. Time to brew up some Oktoberfest uwjester General Beer Discussion 39 03-11-2010 03:35 AM