It's a Boy Belgium Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freyguy

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good 5gal extract recipe for a Belgium Strong Ale or a Tripel. My second son is due to arrive on July 6th, and I would like to hand out bottles of beer instead of cigars. I'd also like to cellar some for later enjoyment. In my crazy mind, I think it would mean alot if I could share a bottle of this special beer with him on his 21st birthday! So needless to say, I would like something pretty strong that will last. I am also shooting for something pretty low in SRM because I enjoy the light beers in high abv's. I also think that most other BMC drinkers tend to shy away from dark beers prior to even tasting them.

So does anyone have a recipe that you have brewed and enjoyed? Please share it with me so I can get this one rolling.

This is the only recipe I found that looked decent, but it's a bit high in abv.:

12.5 lbs Extra-Light LME
1 lb Wheat LME
4oz 60L Crystal
4oz Aromatic
4oz Biscuit Malt
1/2 lb Clear Candi Sugar
1oz Brewer’s Gold
1oz Styrian Goldings(aroma)
Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale

OG: 1.122, FG: 1.028, ABV: 12.4%, SRM: 9.4, IBU: 19.6

Any help is appreciated. :mug:
Thanks,
-Brian

I just brewed this up and kegged it last night. Its not a light beer if you have ever had it. Its certainly complex and strong! Mine only turned out to be around 7% ABV or so for some reason (maybe my OG reading was incorrect)... maybe it just needs another coupe weeks to ferment out the last few points in the keg. If it drops down another 4-5 points it'll be damn near 8% ABV... plus another .2% from priming sugar. Its a 5 gallon recipe... the 2.5 gallons is simply the boil volume - to get your hop utilization correct.

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23838&highlight=pistoles

Unibroue Trios Pistoles

sirsloop said:
2.5gallons @ 155° - 15 minutes
9oz Crystal 60L
9oz caramunich
1/4lbs biscuit malt
1.5oz moravian black

60minute boil
1can Lyles Golden Syrup (1lbs)
10lbs Pale Extract
1lb Dark Belgian Candi Sugar

60min
1.25oz Styrian Golding

15min
1/8tsp anise spice
.5oz styrian golding
.25oz bittering orange peel

5min
1/8tsp anise spice
.25oz saaz

WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast
From East Flanders, versatile yeast that can produce light Belgian ales to high gravity Belgian beers (12% ABV). A combination of fruitiness and phenolic characteristics dominate the flavor profile. Some sulfur is produced during fermentation, which will dissipate following the end of fermentation.
Attenuation: 73-78%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-75°F
Alcohol Tolerance: High

There are "unibroue" yeast clones out there, but they are seasonal. This yeast seemed like a pretty good match for what I was shooting for.

Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale
This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a dry peppery finish. A perfect strain for Farmhouse ales and Saisons.

Alcohol tolerance: 12% ABV
Flocculation: low-medium
Attenuation: 76-81%
Temperature range: 70-95°F (21-35°C)

WOWOWOOW!!! 95!!! HAHAH!

sirsloop said:
Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale
This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a dry peppery finish. A perfect strain for Farmhouse ales and Saisons.

Alcohol tolerance: 12% ABV
Flocculation: low-medium
Attenuation: 76-81%
Temperature range: 70-95°F (21-35°C)

WOWOWOOW!!! 95!!! HAHAH!

That would be awesome for me... Might have to try that out further into the summer.

Hmm, that recipe looks pretty good. A bit darker than what I was looking for, but looks to be interesting. Maybe I'll try it with this yeast just to be VSS:

Wyeast 3822 Ingelmunster Ale
(formerly known as Wyeast 3822 Dutch Castle)
This unique Belgian ale yeast produces spicy, phenolic and tart aromas. Very tart and dry on the palate. Phenol and ester production balanced, for beer with a complex finish. High acid producer.

Alcohol tolerance: approximately 12%
Flocculation: medium-high
Apparent attenuation: 74-79%
Temperature range: 65-80°F (18-27°C)

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably pick up a Unibroue Trios Pistoles to see what it tastes like. If anyone has any other recipes, please keep them coming.

Back