Irish Red Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarnoBrewer

Reaction score
I'm making an Irish Red, more similar to Smithwick's than Killian's, but I'm also definitely not a slave to recipes or style guides. I'm hopping it with Fuggles, but I also have a ton of Cascade in the freezer. I love the aroma of Cascade. I know it doesn't fit the style, but what do you guys think of adding, say half an ounce of Cascade in the last 10-15 minutes, just to give it a bit of that aroma? Any thoughts?

I say, use what you'd like! If you're brewing it for yourself then go for it, you might just find something really tasty.

I'm brewing a Red Ale soon with Columbus hops!

Sean From NH

I say, use what you'd like! If you're brewing it for yourself then go for it, you might just find something really tasty.

I'm brewing a Red Ale soon with Columbus hops!

Sean From NH

I agree whole-heartedly. I've definitely made quite a few beers that way. I'm just curious as to whether anyone thinks the cascade will be too bizarre a finishing hop for this style of beer. I don't want to completely overwhelm it, but I think it might be nice. I guess we shall see...

You could also dry hop it or move your addition back to flame out. That would almost eliminate any flavor contribution.

I remember Smithwicks as a pretty neutral beer, dark in color but not a ton of flavor, very drinkable. I could see cascade as a pleasant addition at any point in the beer.

You could also dry hop it or move your addition back to flame out. That would almost eliminate any flavor contribution.

I remember Smithwicks as a pretty neutral beer, dark in color but not a ton of flavor, very drinkable. I could see cascade as a pleasant addition at any point in the beer.

I like it. I think I will wait and add it at the very end. Just to get a bit of the aroma and maybe a tad of the flavor. I'm normally a pretty big hop head, but I lived in Ireland for a while and have a fondness for some of the mellower beers. I'd normally drink stout, but about one in ten pub visits, I'd switch to Smithwick's or Kilkenny as a bit of a break. We'll see what happens!

Back