New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > IPA Recipe - Too much crystal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If you can't mash yet, next time try steeping the grains at 156 and let the temp fall into the upper-mid 140's throughout the steeping (over 20+ minutes). You could probably just remove from heat during steeping. I can tell you from experience that you won't denature beta amylase at 156 for a few minutes with a gradual temp drop. In fact, I can hold 156-158 for an hour and gradually drop thereafter and still get great attenuation the longer I let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
If you can't mash yet, next time try steeping the grains at 156 and let the temp fall into the upper-mid 140's throughout the steeping (over 20+ minutes). You could probably just remove from heat during steeping. I can tell you from experience that you won't denature beta amylase at 156 for a few minutes with a gradual temp drop. In fact, I can hold 156-158 for an hour and gradually drop thereafter and still get great attenuation the longer I let it go.
This is essentially what I did. I put the crystal and 2-row in a nylon steeping bag, heated 6 quarts of water to ~160F, put the bag in (which dropped the temperature to about 155F) and I shut off the heat, put the lid, and just gave it an occasional stir and a little flame every few minutes to hold about 155F. I steeped for 30 minutes, pulled out and squeezed the grain bag dry, and then boiled for an hour and did the hop and irish moss additions. It boiled down to 4 quarts. I cooled it in a snow/water bath to ~80F within about 10 minutes.

I reconstituted the DME in another pot with 6 quarts of water, just boiling it long enough to sanitize it. I cooled that down, and then I dumped both pots (10 quarts = 2.5 gallons) into the fermenter and pitched the yeast.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1336 Times on 1053 Posts
Likes Given: 2328

I balance the amount of crystal not against the grain bill, but against the IBUs.

The more bitter, the more crystal.

In a 5 gallon IIPA (bitter as HELL) I have put 2 lbs of crystal, making almost 18% of the bill and it has been really well recieved. No one dreamed that it was too sweet.

- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin

Old 02-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I balance the amount of crystal not against the grain bill, but against the IBUs.

In a 5 gallon IIPA (bitter as HELL) I have put 2 lbs of crystal, making almost 18% of the bill and it has been really well recieved. No one dreamed that it was too sweet.
Yep, like I said, in an IIPA/IPA/PA you can get away with a lot if the hop presence is strong

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
This is essentially what I did. I put the crystal and 2-row in a nylon steeping bag, heated 6 quarts of water to ~160F, put the bag in (which dropped the temperature to about 155F) and I shut off the heat, put the lid, and just gave it an occasional stir and a little flame every few minutes to hold about 155F. I steeped for 30 minutes, pulled out and squeezed the grain bag dry, and then boiled for an hour and did the hop and irish moss additions. It boiled down to 4 quarts. I cooled it in a snow/water bath to ~80F within about 10 minutes.

I reconstituted the DME in another pot with 6 quarts of water, just boiling it long enough to sanitize it. I cooled that down, and then I dumped both pots (10 quarts = 2.5 gallons) into the fermenter and pitched the yeast.
Congrats, you basically mashed the grain. If you do more (or all) grain, get a larger bag, ie. a BIAB-size bag (5g paint strainer from Home Depot), "steep" it for 60m at specific temp (depending on how dry or malty you want the beer) and you're doing all-grain.

Quote:

Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post

My hop schedule gives me 36 IBUs (it is probably a shade less than this because I reserved a few pellets of each hop for dry hopping). My OG was 1.062. Per this chart that puts me in the 'slightly hoppy' regime. The small reserve for dryhopping might push me a bit to the left into 'balanced'.

So hopefully things aren't too out of whack.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1336 Times on 1053 Posts
Likes Given: 2328

Nope! You are fine, I just wanted to point out (sorry I missed your post tre9er) that % of grain bill is only one measurement, and can actually be meaningless and should be thrown out in a REAL bitter IPA.

- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin

Old 02-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Congrats, you basically mashed the grain. If you do more (or all) grain, get a larger bag, ie. a BIAB-size bag (5g paint strainer from Home Depot), "steep" it for 60m at specific temp (depending on how dry or malty you want the beer) and you're doing all-grain.
I did an all-grain mash for a 1-gallon IPA kit. I'm restricted in my batch size due to my stove, so I don't know how well I could manage an all-grain for a 2.5 gallon batch. I was running out of pot room as it was, but it worked nicely. I'm not even sure what I'd call this brewing technique - partial extract/partial mash BIAB method?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

I've got a nice krausen forming now. I gave the airlock a sniff and what hits my nose is hops, not a yeasty or malty smell at all.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
I did an all-grain mash for a 1-gallon IPA kit. I'm restricted in my batch size due to my stove, so I don't know how well I could manage an all-grain for a 2.5 gallon batch. I was running out of pot room as it was, but it worked nicely. I'm not even sure what I'd call this brewing technique - partial extract/partial mash BIAB method?
Partial mash, yep.

Quote:

Quick Reply