Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > IPA Recipe with hop burst

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
endorphines
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default IPA Recipe with hop burst

I'm coming to you all to look for wisdom. I wrote my own recipe once or twice... they were bad. I've made a new recipe now and i want your opinion. It's based off of a recipe i've been brewing for a while, but i want to try hop bursting, so i'm using it as a starting point.
Here's the original recipe:

8 # 2-row
2.5 # Munich Malt
.5 # Crystal 70L
.13 # Chocolate Malt
.5 oz Black Patent

1 oz willamette 4.8% pellet 60 min
.75 oz centennial 9% pellet 30 min
.5 oz willamette 4.8% pellet 20 min

mash at 154 for 60 mins
45 IBU

Now, I want the new one to be a bit maltier, have the same abv, be much hoppier, have a bit more mouth feel. Also there was a taste i like in the background of that beer that i can only describe as toasty which i want to bring out a bit. here's what i wrote up.

7 # 2-row
2.5 # Munich Malt
1 # Crystal 70L
.5 #Toasted 2-row
.5 # Flaked Oats
.13 # Chocolate Malt
.5 oz Black Pattent

3 oz Willamette 4.8% 12 min
3 oz Centennial 9% 6 min
1.5 oz Willamette 4.8% 4 min
1 oz Nugget 13% 4 min

Mash at 158 for 60 min
72 IBU

So i figure this beer will smack you in the face with hop aroma, and have some nice maltyness to balance out the tastes once you start drinkin it, and be rounded out with better mouth feel from the oats. I know it may not be true to the IPA style between the colour it'll have and the oats in it, but it's my wish list in a beer... i think. Or have I gone horribly wrong here.
What do you all think?

Reason: Forgot times for hop schedule

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm guessing you're going for a black IPA? 1# of 70 + the chocolate and black patent seems dark to me, but if you like the malt profile, more power to you.
I will say, on the subject of hops bursting - make sure you can chill the wort rapidly. Aroma and flavor are lost incredibly quickly when hops bursting.
I screwed up my first attempt at Jamil's Evil Twin by not cooling quickly enough, and it's too malt heavy.

Oh, and 158 for an IPA is madness. I wouldn't go higher than 152-153, especially with all the crystal.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
endorphines
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman_48442 View Post
I'm guessing you're going for a black IPA? 1# of 70 + the chocolate and black patent seems dark to me, but if you like the malt profile, more power to you.
I will say, on the subject of hops bursting - make sure you can chill the wort rapidly. Aroma and flavor are lost incredibly quickly when hops bursting.
I screwed up my first attempt at Jamil's Evil Twin by not cooling quickly enough, and it's too malt heavy.
I have a counter flow wort chiller. My pot will be empty in 5 or 6 minutes. will that be fast enough?
And i don't really care what colour it comes out as, I just know i liked the flavor of the original. I added the additional crystal to help add some maltyness, and hopefully some head retention. Was i wrong to do that?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
endorphines
Recipes 

I'm also inexperienced when it comes to writing hop schedules... so if anyone has some input on that, i'd love to hear it.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You know, now that I put your recipe in Beersmith, the only thing I think you might want to change is to increase your 2 row to 10# or so, since as posted your OG is on the low side, and your color and hops numbers are on the high side of the style, just to balance it a bit. It would also help to get your bitterness (IPU/SG) ratio down a bit to about .81, since you mention that you like a bit more maltiness.
Really up to you, and I'd be happy to drink the beer you brew from this. It looks like it'd be darn good. I'd still mash it way lower than you posted, however

Old 08-19-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
endorphines
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman_48442 View Post
I'd still mash it way lower than you posted, however
What would mashing this high do that i wouldn't want? Wouldn't it make it maltier? Is it just that it's over kill?
I'm still pretty new to this, and while i've got the broad strokes figured out i'm still missing the finer points.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Mashing higher does not necessarily produce "maltier" beers, it produces less attenuated beers. Malty flavors are derived primarily from the grainbill formulation (as in adding more munich malt/aromatic malt/melanoidin malt etc).

A combination of higher mash temps and modifications to the grist will make for a maltier flavor profile.

Very unique combination of hops you have there. I'd drink this thing too, whatever it is!

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 08-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
endorphines
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
Mashing higher does not necessarily produce "maltier" beers, it produces less attenuated beers. Malty flavors are derived primarily from the grainbill formulation (as in adding more munich malt/aromatic malt/melanoidin malt etc).

A combination of higher mash temps and modifications to the grist will make for a maltier flavor profile.

Very unique combination of hops you have there. I'd drink this thing too, whatever it is!
Thanks for the feed back, what you said about the grain bill formulation is really useful to me.
As for the hop selection, I have some odds'n ends kickin around in my freezer, so i went through them, and this and decided it might be a good combination. I'm lookin forward to seeing what it tastes like as well.
Brew day's tomorrow! I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Old 08-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
endorphines
Recipes 

Here's the recipe as it after some alterations.

9 # 2-row
3 # Munich Malt
1 # Crystal 70L
.5 #Toasted 2-row
.5 # Flaked Oats
.13 # Chocolate Malt
.5 oz Black Pattent

3 oz Willamette 4.8% 12 min
3 oz Centennial 9% 6 min
1.5 oz Willamette 4.8% 4 min
1 oz Nugget 13% 4 min

Mash at 153 for 60 min
OG 1.07
72 IBU

With that my OG will be up near where wolfman_48442 suggested it should be. And i'm mashing at a more "sane" temperature. I'm using a slightly less attenuative yeast (wyeast 1056 before, wyeast 1332 now) than i did with the beer i based this off of, so a lower temperature will keep things from getting too crazy.
As mentioned earlier, i guess this would be a BIPA. the colour is way off for an IPA, but i don't really mind. I just know that i already like the beer made with the grain bill that it's based off of.

Reason: OG

Old 08-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

The 1332 will give you more fruitiness than the 1056, but in my opinion it will blend nicely with the rich malt and hops bitterness you have in the recipe.
Try and keep your fermentation temperature below 70F if possible, and I bet it'll turn out really good!

Let us know how it turns out!

Quick Reply