Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > IPA recipe Belma/Citra/Columbus for flavor add.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #21
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
I would ease back on the IBUs at 60 minutes and either boost the 20 minute addition, or layer the first addition like you originally intended at 30 minutes. Personally, I would late addition and dryhop with Citra & Cascade. Save the Bravo/Columbus for early additions and the Belma for middle additions.
Unfortunately, I read your post too late, so I brewed to the last recipe I posted. The great news is that brew day went on without a hitch, I ended up mashing at 150°F rather than my intended 149°F, and since it was chilly I tossed a blanket on top of my mash tun (I normally don't do this) so I did not lose the 1°F that I normally would over the 90 minute mash. Pre-boil gravity 1.059, OG 1.071. Smelled wonderful the sample was quite bitter estimated IBUs ended up at 90.

Quote:
No, 6-9 oz. total hops is for my standard IPAs. Double IPAs have more like 9-14 oz. total hops for a 6.5 gallon boil, including dryhop. The 6-9 oz. for a standard IPA includes the dryhop as well.
I apologize, I misunderstood. Then I am on target with your total hops amounts, so that is good.

Thanks for your help. I'll post results and a picture of the finished beer in about a month or so. Fermenting at 65°F and it's blowing off in the fermentation chamber now .

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #22
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Good. Let us know. Sounds like everything is working out for you. You did bitter quite a bit, but try not to be bothered by the bitterness of the sample. It should smooth out significantly with further conditioning and carbing. I never appreciate that initial sip like I do when the beer is done. It always tastes like harshly bitter hop tea at first, but then it turns into liquid magic with some patience.

If it's still harsh in 3 weeks, then you may be able to offset this a bit by using 0.75 oz. of juicy/fruity pellet dryhops per gallon of beer (A high oil Citra dryhop would do a good job of lending a juicy sweetness to a very bitter beer).

For a beer similar to this, I will typically give it 4 weeks in the carboy including the 1-2 week dryhop. Low 60s during the first 5-7 days, then high 60s afterward and during the dryhop.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #23
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Schnitz!

Old 12-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #24
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
Schnitz!
Soper! Ha!

Old 12-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #25
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Quote:
For a beer similar to this, I will typically give it 4 weeks in the carboy including the 1-2 week dryhop. Low 60s during the first 5-7 days, then high 60s afterward and during the dryhop.
I will more than likely do 21d primary. I was attempting to find a temperature that would be acceptable for both WLP 001 & 007, so I settled for 65F which means internal term temps are slightly higher since I tape my temp probe to the outside of the fermenter with a block of foam insulation. I also taped it to the WLP007 fermenter. From experience it ferments quite a bit stronger than the 001, so I estimate internal temps to be no higher than 70 F. I pitched at as bout 62ish, but the 007 blew off all day yesterday switching to airlocks tomorrow. I plan to bump up my temps starting Thursday 1-2 degrees per day depending on the fermentation. WLP007 drops like a rock, so I want to be sure I get full attenuation from it. I know 001 takes forever to flocc out so I'm not concerned about it too much.

After primary I'll cold crash 2-3days, allow the beer to come up to room temp, 70 or so, then dry hop/rack to primary for another 7 days or so. Cold crash again, rack to keg and carb.

That's the plan anyway.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #26
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
Soper! Ha!
If I drive down will you share some of this beer with me?

NHC 2011 pics

NHC 2010 pics

Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #27
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post

If I drive down will you share some of this beer with me?
Of course!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #28
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

UPDATE:

WLP007 FG 1.012 @ 58.3 = 1.012
WLP001 FG 1.010 @ 56.5 = 1.010

Dry hopped the WLP007 with 2oz of Belma hops.
Dry hopped the WLP001 with 2oz of Citra hops.

I intended on using Cascade along with the Citra, but my Cascades are slightly over 1 year old, and when I took them out of the freezer there was no vaccuum in the container. Therefore, I think they were oxidized; their aroma was off. I plan to use them at some point, probably for bittering, but they aren't going to make it in this beer.

I tasted the samples I drew off for the SG check - both are a nice light copper color:

WLP007: slightly sweet, well bittered, nice malty/grainy flavor akin to an English ale, but not as pronounced, the hop flavor was slightly muted (not has bright as I would hope.)

WLP001: Balanced, not as sweet as the WLP007 (I suppose that this is given English vs. American yeasts), malty/grainy flavor, hop flavors not muted such as with the WLP007, nice bright hoppy flavor with a bitter backbone.

Both are good. I think it is too early to tell, but if my intuition serves me correctly, I will cut back on the bittering addition. I think I may have been a little too aggressive with the bittering, but the additional aging in the secondary, and dry hops may solve it.

I am happy that I dry hopped the WLP007 with the Belma opposed to the Citra. At this point, I think the WLP001 has turned out to be the better beer, but I know that there is at least another 3 weeks before it will be drinkable, so only time will tell, and the Belma is completely up in the air as far as flavor/aroma since there are so many mixed reviews.

Otherwise the beer is in secondary now. I will cold crash a second time next weekend before racking to kegs.

I'll post results and tasting notes when the final product is ready.

Quick Reply