New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > IPA Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 11:09 PM   #11
Tony
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
Not to get off on a hijack, but have oyu brewed this before Tony?

I used to bitter my LWPA with Perle but I get a very strong, harsh bitterness with those...anyone else notice that with Perle?
Actually, this time I used Galena as I didnt have Perle. Usually I would use Northern Brewer as a substitute for Perle if I dont have it at brew time, but decided to try Galena.

Anyone have a recipe for Terminal Gravity?

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #12
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got to admit, the more SNPA I drink, the better it gets. Do they make an IPA? Laugunitas has the better aroma hops but I like the taste of Terminal Gravity's IPA slightly more.

Like to hear some recommendations on stouts and porters.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #13
gbarron
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Re: SN IPA?

Strangely, I just read a posting on another site where an individual there said he saw a product labeled "Sierra Nevada IPA" in his local market. He stated that his area was a test market for this new product. So the answer may be 'yes.'

Old 01-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
cgravier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default celebration ale

the celebration ale is an i.p.a. and a great one too...

Old 01-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #15
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Here's a real simple recipe that is a variant of one I have used with some success. I am an extract brewer exclusively, using a plastic brew tank.

Two cans, Cooper's light malt extract.
Some steeping grains - if you want a light color, try 20 Lovibond crystal.
Hops - I like a real crisp brew so I usually use two ounces of something in the 15% acid range, half at the beginning of the boil, half in the last five minutes. You might want to start with something a little lower.
Nottingham dry yeast.
Five and a half to six gallons of spring water.
3/4s of a cup of priming sugar.

Chill four of the gallons of water, if you can. Steep the grains (in a steeping bag) while heating the water up. Just before the boil starts, take the grains out and pour in your malt extract. Boil for an hour. Toss in hops as noted above.

After the boil is done, put your chilled water into your brew tank, then dump in your boiled wort. Some strain the wort - I don't bother. It is less necessary when you use extracts and a steeping bag, and a strainer is one more thing to have to sanitize.

The chilled water should have brough the temperature of your mix to one that is about right for your yeast. Check the temperature - if it is still too warm, hold off a bit until it cools a bit. Sprinkle the yeast on top of the brew tank. Don't stir it. Cover and allow to sit two weeks.

After the two weeks are up, boil up a half gallon or so of water with your priming sugar and pour this into the bottling tub. Then carefully siphon the contents of the brew tank, leaving behind as much as you can of the sediment at the bottom. Bottle it right up from there. Plan to have 56 bottles or so ready to use.

There are more complicated recipes but if you have a similar gear set up to mine, this will work fine. Almost any recipe is very forgiving as long as you sanitize everything as carefully as you can. I've made maybe a dozen batches so far, maybe 3/4 of which were variants of this, and they have been spectacularly good.

Quick Reply