IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewiz

Reaction score
Guys, I am going to attempt my first ag this weekend and need a simple but good Pale Ale recipe. Any ideas would be appreciated....

flhrpi said:
Guys, I am going to attempt my first ag this weekend and need a simple but good Pale Ale recipe. Any ideas would be appreciated....

IPA or Pale Ale? English Pale Ale or American Pale Ale?

Really, you can't go wrong doing a SNPA cloner. Always a good choice.

I'm working on somethign right now--but maybe someone can link you to a recent thread with a SNPA clone recipe in it..or you can do a quic search for "pale ale recipe" and see what you find.....post what you come up with!

If no one posts--I'm posting the recipe for Lake Walk Pale Ale!!!!! :D

ORRELSE said:
IPA or Pale Ale? English Pale Ale or American Pale Ale?

Really, you can't go wrong doing a SNPA cloner. Always a good choice.

I'm working on somethign right now--but maybe someone can link you to a recent thread with a SNPA clone recipe in it..or you can do a quic search for "pale ale recipe" and see what you find.....post what you come up with!

If no one posts--I'm posting the recipe for Lake Walk Pale Ale!!!!! :D

Lets see the Lake Walk Pale Ale, sound interesting...

Yeah do a nice APA. Per 5 gallons use about 10 pounds of 2-row. If you want a little sweetness, throw in a pund of crystal. Hop it with Columbus, Centennial, Cascade and/or Amarillo to your tastes (my tastes run toward the hoppy ;)

Best to go nice and simple for your first AG...you'll like it better anyway and you can get a feel for the process without lots of weird variables.

Cheers :D

:D This is ever changing...tweak it the way you want it!

Make sure to toast the grains--it is the key to beer nirvana! :p

If you need an extract version lemme know....

Lake Walk Pale Ale--All Grain version

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA
Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.50
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.87
Anticipated SRM: 10.6
Anticipated IBU: 45.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Pre-Boil Amounts
-------------
Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
69.6 8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
17.4 2.00 lbs. Toasted Malt(2-row) America 1.033 30
8.7 1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
4.3 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 17.2 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.35 16.9 45 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.35 11.1 20 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 6.75 0.0 0 min.
2.00 oz. Cascade Whole 6.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

this is one of my standard pale ale recipes:

Saint Almost Amber
11 lbs. 2 Row Malt
1.5 lbs. Caravienne Malt
.5 lb CaraPils Dextrin Malt
1.5 oz Cascade Hops @ 60 min.
.5 oz Cascade Hops @ 15 min
.5 oz Liberty Hops @ 0 min
White Labs English Ale Yeast

SG 1.063 SRM 7.1 IBU's 40.8

Mah in w/ 4.2 gallons of water @ 165 degrees for a resulting mash temp of 154 degrees for 60 minutes. Sparge w/ 5.5 gallons of 170 degree water or until you get a kettle volume of 6.6 gallons. boil for 90 minutes, with first hop additions at 60 min left in the boil. cool wort to 70 degrees, aerate well, and pitch yeast (i use a 1300 ml starter). ferment around 68-70 degrees.

Beermaker said:
:drunk: Sierra Nevada Makes a great Pale ale toooooo.....

Oh yeah! I just brewed this SNPA clone this past weekend:

10lbs 2 Row Pale
2lbs Caramel 60L
.5oz Magnum 60 min
.5oz Perle 30 min
1oz Cascade 10 min
2oz Cascade 1 min
WLP001 California Ale

OG 1.058
FG 1.013
Color: SRM 16.17
IBU's:46 (a little high)
AV %: 5.9

Tony said:
Oh yeah! I just brewed this SNPA clone this past weekend:

10lbs 2 Row Pale
2lbs Caramel 60L
.5oz Magnum 60 min
.5oz Perle 30 min
1oz Cascade 10 min
2oz Cascade 1 min
WLP001 California Ale

OG 1.058
FG 1.013
Color: SRM 16.17
IBU's:46 (a little high)
AV %: 5.9

Not to get off on a hijack, but have oyu brewed this before Tony?

I used to bitter my LWPA with Perle but I get a very strong, harsh bitterness with those...anyone else notice that with Perle?

I rate Sierra Nevada very good. But both Lagunitas IPA and Terminal Gravity IPA really stand out for me. If the price of these were to drop, I probably would never brew another light ale..... just porters, stouts and lagers.

ORRELSE said:
Not to get off on a hijack, but have oyu brewed this before Tony?

I used to bitter my LWPA with Perle but I get a very strong, harsh bitterness with those...anyone else notice that with Perle?

Actually, this time I used Galena as I didnt have Perle. Usually I would use Northern Brewer as a substitute for Perle if I dont have it at brew time, but decided to try Galena.

Anyone have a recipe for Terminal Gravity?

Got to admit, the more SNPA I drink, the better it gets. Do they make an IPA? Laugunitas has the better aroma hops but I like the taste of Terminal Gravity's IPA slightly more.

Like to hear some recommendations on stouts and porters.

Strangely, I just read a posting on another site where an individual there said he saw a product labeled "Sierra Nevada IPA" in his local market. He stated that his area was a test market for this new product. So the answer may be 'yes.'

Here's a real simple recipe that is a variant of one I have used with some success. I am an extract brewer exclusively, using a plastic brew tank.

Two cans, Cooper's light malt extract.
Some steeping grains - if you want a light color, try 20 Lovibond crystal.
Hops - I like a real crisp brew so I usually use two ounces of something in the 15% acid range, half at the beginning of the boil, half in the last five minutes. You might want to start with something a little lower.
Nottingham dry yeast.
Five and a half to six gallons of spring water.
3/4s of a cup of priming sugar.

Chill four of the gallons of water, if you can. Steep the grains (in a steeping bag) while heating the water up. Just before the boil starts, take the grains out and pour in your malt extract. Boil for an hour. Toss in hops as noted above.

After the boil is done, put your chilled water into your brew tank, then dump in your boiled wort. Some strain the wort - I don't bother. It is less necessary when you use extracts and a steeping bag, and a strainer is one more thing to have to sanitize.

The chilled water should have brough the temperature of your mix to one that is about right for your yeast. Check the temperature - if it is still too warm, hold off a bit until it cools a bit. Sprinkle the yeast on top of the brew tank. Don't stir it. Cover and allow to sit two weeks.

After the two weeks are up, boil up a half gallon or so of water with your priming sugar and pour this into the bottling tub. Then carefully siphon the contents of the brew tank, leaving behind as much as you can of the sediment at the bottom. Bottle it right up from there. Plan to have 56 bottles or so ready to use.

There are more complicated recipes but if you have a similar gear set up to mine, this will work fine. Almost any recipe is very forgiving as long as you sanitize everything as carefully as you can. I've made maybe a dozen batches so far, maybe 3/4 of which were variants of this, and they have been spectacularly good.

Back