IPA questions and comments!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelm

Reaction score
Ok I am brewing an IPA weekend after Easter... Recipe is as follows

Recipe: IPA
Brewer: Michael M
Asst Brewer:
Style: India Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 10.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 77.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
1 lbs Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)Hops 44.4 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 24.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 165.3 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 9.60 qt of water at 202.4 F 168.0 F

So what do you think???? Questions, comments, input?????

I am wondering if I should do a protein rest or just streight mash and maybe go a few degrees lower?? say around 145-148??? or do you think that will thin it out to much for the hops being used???

M

Looks really freakin' good to me! I wouldn't mash any lower than 150, but your mashout will help getting the last of the starches solublized and converted. No need for protein rest especially with English malt.

The Carapils is kind of at odds with your mash schedule though. You could replace it with more base malt, mash a degree higher, and get basically the same dextrins.

Chico is a Notty derivative so I see them as mostly interchangeable.

I love Maris Otter as a base for my IPA, keep it in there.

As mentioned above, 1.068 is low gravity and you don't need to mash around 148*, keep it in the mid 150's and you will be fine.

I would half the FWH and add that Simcoe into the dry hopping for extra intrigue. Centennial is my go to but it has a very specific aroma that I like to balance with some other hops.

In Nottingham I have good flavors in my darker beers, but in lighter beers I find that it really stands out quite a bit. I like US-05 or Chico or 1056 (all the same) when doing my IPA's as well.

I agree with Denny. I really like 1272 in my IPA. I like to mash around 148 and finish not as dry as most like their IPA's. Remember brewing is a personnal taste. If you like.........brew it.

Not following you here. If you are mashing at 148, then it seems to me that you are going to reap the full extent of that yeast and get down to the mid to low teens... I mashed at 158* and got 1.020, then my last IPA did at 150* and made it to 1.013.

Way too much aromatic, IMO.

I agree. If you really want the strong malty aroma, you can still use the aromatic malt, but maybe in 4-6 ounces not a whole pound.

I like maris otter in an IPA, so that's fine. I usually use US pale malt (2-row) but the MO is good stuff and I've used it with good results.

I like MO in APAs and AIPAs. I agree that I wouldn't go with as much aromatic. This hop schedule is going to end up with a very smooth hop bitterness. You aren't going to have the bite that many hop monsters have. Simcoe produces a smoother bitterness already and doing the FWH and 20 min will not give that bite that some like. (I prefer a smoother bitter myself but sometimes want the bite in a beer).

Recipe: IPA
Brewer: Michael M
Asst Brewer:
Style: India Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 73.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 88.00 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort HoHops 43.5 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 12.0 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 12.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 15.63 qt of water at 162.9 F 148.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 10.00 qt of water at 206.2 F 168.0 F

Ok Changed aromatic to half a pound(may still be to much we will see LOL)
swapped the hopping schedule around I liked the idea that Matt had for that as well and I agree will add a touch more complexity to the hop experiance overall I believe... I added some base malt well just because..... :)

Yeast....I plan on keeping the fermentation at the lower range of the yeast I dont think it will effect its flavors to much... that and I am a dry yeast kinda guy so its either notty or muntons premium gold... though s-04 might be a good yeast too....

and now to mash.... plugging in the #'s and considering I fly sparge normal mashout will not leave me much left for sparging...(will have 6.5 gallons of water between mash in and mash out...) so I am debating to either skip mashout or to do a decoction OR to do a ghetto recirculation of adding some sparge water and then draining off wort heating to boiling and adding it back in......

Input and ideas are still greatly wanted!!!

I am still not sure why you are doing the lower mash temperature. You are not going to get much mouthfeel at all due to both the hops and thinner wort. It might warrant adding some flaked something into it in order to keep a little bit of smoothness in the body. This is a good base recipe though, so you will be able to play with it. Mash in around 152 if you are looking for good attenuation, since using Notty will help you get a very low FG.

I am still not sure why you are doing the lower mash temperature. You are not going to get much mouthfeel at all due to both the hops and thinner wort. It might warrant adding some flaked something into it in order to keep a little bit of smoothness in the body. This is a good base recipe though, so you will be able to play with it. Mash in around 152 if you are looking for good attenuation, since using Notty will help you get a very low FG.

I meant to have that at 150 not 148..... I am thinking the carapills and the munich malts will help keep the body up but I think your right closer to 152 might be ideal as notty DOES dry it up pretty good....\\

I guess it might help to say I am shooting for something with enough malt flavor and aroma to hold up against the big simcoe and centennial hops (both my favorite hops for big ipa's BTW...) hence the aromatic caramunich and carapils.... but I still want a good crisp finish without much lingering sweetness or to be better said as without finishing syrupy... which I think alot of the IPA's end up with trying to balance the hops with the malt....

Anyone know what the alchohol is in SNPA's?? right now my recipie is sitting at a touch over 7% I may drop that pound of base I added and get it closer to 6.5% make it alittle easier drinking LOL.....

debate I would like input on
Yeast Notty,muntons premium gold,or s-04 (or anyother dry that would work well)

Mash-- Mashout or not to mashout.. and if so how?? in a 10 gallon cooler so it would either be infusion which I think would be bad because its not going to leave me much for sparging..... a decoction or a recirculation by adding some sparge and then pulling the wort and heating up and adding it back in......

think I have decided on 152 for mash temp :)

Anyone know what the alchohol is in SNPA's??

From their site:

alcohol content 5.6% by volume
yeast Top-fermenting Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 13.0 Plato
ending gravity 2.8 Plato
bitterness units 37
bittering hops Magnum & Perle
finishing hops Cascade
malts Two-row Pale & Caramel

OK picked up everything for brewing this on saterday.....

Yeast I ended up with us-05 I have to agree with those that said notty might ferment out alitttle to dry....

going to mash at 152 still trying to figure out how to do a mashout without running out of water for my sparge.... think I will add a half gallon-gallon of sparge water and then pull some wort and heat up and add back to the mash to raise the temps... will make sure I vorlough it enough that I dont go boiling hulls and such.... no need for added astringency.... either that or skip mashout alltogether..... (guess I REALLY need to get that steam setup finished lol)

I guess I could do a decoction...... think it would mess with the flavors to much????

Had to buy some more hops then planned... the simcoe was only 11.9% and I calculated for 13..... no biggie just gives me alittle more to dryhop with :)

To ask someone's opinion on recipes is hard because everyone is going to tell you something different. I really don't like Marris Otter in my IPA because I think it masks my hops to much but I do like it in Pale Ales because I like my Pale Ales to have more of a malt background.

Mash temp is the same thing. I mash my IPAs at 148-150 and they come out great. I have also mashed them at 151-153 and I still liked them.

It is all trial and error, you have to pick what you like and what your personal preference is.

To ask someone's opinion on recipes is hard because everyone is going to tell you something different. I really don't like Marris Otter in my IPA because I think it masks my hops to much but I do like it in Pale Ales because I like my Pale Ales to have more of a malt background.

Mash temp is the same thing. I mash my IPAs at 148-150 and they come out great. I have also mashed them at 151-153 and I still liked them.

It is all trial and error, you have to pick what you like and what your personal preference is.

:) yea I know that just was looking for general opinions and got exactly what I was looking for... a few different opinions :mug:

Well here is the progress so far

april1809brew pictures by michael90t - Photobucket

Back