IPA Lite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boy

Reaction score
Goal of this beer is to brew a low alcohol IPA. Girl and I love IPA's but I would like to drink more of them before being housed. Brewed tonight, updates coming in 6 weeks

Batch: 5.5 Gallons
Boil: 7.5 Gallons (set for my system)
IBU: 60
SRM: 7
ABV: 5.3
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.011
BU:GU: 1.16
Efficiency: 75%

7lbs 2 Row
3lbs Munich
8oz 20L

FWH: .5oz Northern Brewer
15min: 1oz Amarillo, .75oz Columbus, .5oz Willamette
1min: 1oz Amarillo, .75oz Columbus, .5oz Willamette
Dry Hop 7 days: 1oz Amarillo, .5oz Columbus, .5oz Willamette

US-05 dry yeast

Mash @ 150 for 60min
Ferment @ 67 for 28 days

Fingers crossed on this one.

Useless without pics
1a4af4b7.jpg

Im thinking it may go lower than that giving you a little more avb.I usually get very good attenuation with 05. I would have mashed a little higher unless thats what you targeted and wanted to go for. Sounds good let us know what you get.

I've had a few Imperial or Double Pale Ales and I always thought to myself, this is really just an IPA.

I'd say a light IPA is just a pale ale, haha... As long as it tastes good, though, call it whatever you'd like.

Taking quotes from category 23 of the BJCP guidelines...

"Extra-hoppy" Pale Ale.
or
"Low-alcohol" IPA.

I thought about the borderline between IPA and just a pale and that's why I pushed the IBUs to 60. I'm worried that the higher IBUs really need to extra ABV to balance the beer but it's an experiment. While I could call it an extra hoppy pale ale to me it just makes more sense to consider it a Low ABV IPA.

I thought about the borderline between IPA and just a pale and that's why I pushed the IBUs to 60. I'm worried that the higher IBUs really need to extra ABV to balance the beer but it's an experiment. While I could call it an extra hoppy pale ale to me it just makes more sense to consider it a Low ABV IPA.

I accidentally made a low-ABV IPA (extra-hoppy PA) last night...

I've purposely made extra-hoppy pale ales before that turned out AMAZING!

However, on this one, I was aiming for an efficiency of 80%, but I had a couple of problems and ended up using too much water, so I ended up getting only an efficiency of 60%, which gave me an OG of 1.048. I also had problems getting my pH under control, and may have added too much acid, so the beer might not taste good anyway.

So yeah it finished down to 1.010 and 5.6%. Little more than I wanted but still lighter. Columbus is intense right now. Still have 2 more weeks in primary and then bottling but as of right now it is incredibly happy with very little backbone. Time will tell

So yeah it finished down to 1.010 and 5.6%. Little more than I wanted but still lighter. Columbus is intense right now. Still have 2 more weeks in primary and then bottling but as of right now it is incredibly happy with very little backbone. Time will tell

Technically, you have a real IPA. American IPAs are 5.5% - 7.5% and have a final gravity of 1.010-1.018 in the 2008 BJCP guidelines.

Back