Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > IPA Hop Rates

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default IPA Hop Rates

There was this sorta evolution, or maybe a revolution, I don't know how to best describe it. IT is the transformation of my tastes, or what I thought I liked things to taste like, from beer with barely detectable hoppiness, to beers with mountains of hops added, and bitterness units of nearly 120, apparently. I am friggin' addicted now, and I never seen it coming.

Recently, I was setting at the Pub, slamming a series of IPA's, when I asked the guy next to me what he thought the hop level was in the beer. He said he thought well over 90, because the can't smell anything under 90. He HB's and works at the Brew/Pub/HBS, too.

I asked the Brewmaster what was in the IPA. It's 1.078 SG, 1.012 FG, with 7.25%, 2 row, 40L crystal and Munich, Warrior, something else, and Cascade with additions all thru and dry-hopped, too. He said something like 116 or 119, don't recall, but that just seems to fall well out of the ranges I see for this TYPE of beer.

What is the hop level in YOUR IPA's, and what do you use to do it for varieties and schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
abt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I love a hop bomb now and then, but a solid IPA to me is just about 6% abv and something around 60 IBU's with a ton of later additions. I like the low-cohumulone bittering hops as well, like Simcoe, Warrior, Magnum, etc. (though I do love Target as well, not particularly low-co.) Later hops are generally EKG/Willamette/Yakima Goldings/Fuggles for the English thing, or a blend of Crystal/Liberty/Mt Hood/Amarillo/Cascade, something like that for the American IPA.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah, what I see is for around 60 on the top end of the range for IPA's. This one is listed as 7.25%, but when the Brewer told me 116 or whatever I was surprised.

This is THE most popular beer by far, of all their offerings.

There WAS supposed to be Northern Brewer in it, or at least there used to be. Seems to have gotten a bit too dear, and maybe price has something to do with them not using it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 04-16-2007, 01:33 AM   #4
montegod7ss
Recipes 

I already had a post typed up about this very subject and before I posted wanted to see if there was anything on the subject already. What I was inquiring on was if anybody today was making a true traditional IPA in the 9% ABV and 150 IBU range, but this one you talk of seems very close. I would love to find something like this local to me, or for purchase anywhere. Does anybody have any huge beer recipes for something like this?

Old 04-16-2007, 03:55 AM   #5
abt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by montegod7ss
making a true traditional IPA in the 9% ABV and 150 IBU range

Not sure anyone wants to drink a "true traditional IPA," but the modern so-called IIPA's are definitely worth exploring though. If you aren't familiar, check out Alpha Male, Arrogant Bastard, Hopslam, Dreadnught, Pliny the Elder, Hercules, Ruination, Hopzilla, 90 Minute, Hopsickle, I'm sure there're others.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:51 AM   #6
Willsellout

Recipes 

My plywood IPA used Summit hops during the brew and Cascade for dryhopping. Came out to around 100 IBU's. It isn't overly bitter, but it has a wonderful caramel/citrus nose. It's the best IPA I've ever had..seems as though I am a bit of a hophead lately

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Quick Reply