The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > IPA first time partial mash. How does this look??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
munkyhead8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default IPA first time partial mash. How does this look??

So I've only done extract brews so far, and I wanted to add a little more challenge to the brew day. How does this look? Could I add more grain and reduce extract? I'm going to be following DeathBrewer's technique.

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Wyeast Labs 1056 American Ale
Yeast Starter: n
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.071
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 63
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 9.9 L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 day @ 66 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 day @ 66 F (dry hop for 5)

Mash @ 152F for 60 minutes

Ingredients:
------------
1 lb Crystal 60L
2 lb 2 row base

3.3 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
3.3 lb pilsen LME
1 lb candi sugar

1 oz chinook (First Wort Hop)
0.50 oz centennial (30 min)
1 oz Cascade (15 min)
1 oz Cascade (1 min)

1 oz Cascade Dry hop
0.50 oz Centennial dry hop

1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
barroomhero1234
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check up on the crystal you may want to mess around it that. the hop schedule looks solid, abut why are you using pilsen lme? I would just say use light lme. but its up too you!

Primary 1: Canadian Pale Ale
Primary 2: American Stout
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Empty
Bottled: IPA,Belgian Wit, Pale ale,Stout, Sour beer.
Planning: Janets Brown, Northern German Alt, Arrogant bastard Clone+ more yummy beers
I only take a drink on two occasions - when I'm thirsty and when I'm not.
Brendan Behan
Drunken Lullabies Brewery
Slainte!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

3.0 pounds of DME will be more practical than 3.3 pounds

You absolutely can, and possibly should, add more grain and less extract. Can you manage eliminating half the extract, and adding 4-5 lbs of 2-row? Or maybe drop to 1 lb. DME...it depends on your pot size (7 lbs grain >> ~2.5 gallons to mash in).

I can see adding some sugar to lighten a big beer (particularly that extract tends to leave a high FG), but does it need to be candi rather than cane or corn?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
irasnyd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree, try and do more two row and less extract if you can manage. I've been following the deathbrewer PM method for quite a few batches now. It isn't any harder to mash more grain, in fact I can usually keep my mash temperature better with more grain.

One thing I'd add is that I got much better efficiency by adding a step to the deathbrewer method. I add some near-boiling water to the mash before moving it to the second sparge pot. Usually around 1/3 of the amount of water I mashed in. My steps go:
1) mash grain in X gal of water, 60 minutes
2) add 1/3 X gal of 200F water, 10 minutes
3) drain grain and move to sparge pot of 175F water. Stir, wait 10 minutes
4) combine both pots, boil as usual

I boosted my efficiency quite a bit by adding the second step. However, I made plenty of brews without it that turned out just fine.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
munkyhead8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post

You absolutely can, and possibly should, add more grain and less extract. Can you manage eliminating half the extract, and adding 4-5 lbs of 2-row? Or maybe drop to 1 lb. DME...it depends on your pot size (7 lbs grain >> ~2.5 gallons to mash in).

I can see adding some sugar to lighten a big beer (particularly that extract tends to leave a high FG), but does it need to be candi rather than cane or corn?
Not sure why, but I thought the package I bought before was 3.3 lb. I was shooting for round number. . .

I actually ended up picking up a 2 gallon cooler and using the method on BYO.com. I only have 1 pot larger enough, so that was the cheapest route. So I bumped it up to 3 lb of 2 row and one of the crystal. I ditched the LME for all DME (5 lb). As for the Candi sugar, I had a bag from a previous kit that I stole parts from. Gotta use what you have

The wort is cooling right now and I'll update the recipe once it is done and I have a gravity reading.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Quote:
Not necessarily. 3.3 lb is 1.5kg.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Not necessarily. 3.3 lb is 1.5kg.
Yeah, but in the US at least I haven't noticed DME in that size. At the very least, I'd say he should use whatever size matches what he has, and not but another pound just to use 0.3 lbs.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by irasnyd View Post
I agree, try and do more two row and less extract if you can manage. I've been following the deathbrewer PM method for quite a few batches now. It isn't any harder to mash more grain, in fact I can usually keep my mash temperature better with more grain.
I'm shooting for about five pounds of grain on partial mashes using the DB method. More grain does seem to hold the temp a little better over the course of the mash.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply