New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Inter season Brewing




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
telp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 31
Likes Given: 23

Default Inter season Brewing

I brewed some pumpkin beers that will be perfectly ready for thanksgiving. Due to finals being right after thanksgiving though, and my lack of foresight, I will not have any brews ready for Christmas this year. What a shame.

That being said, what are some of your favorite brews to cook up for those months after Christmas but before the weather starts to get warm again?



__________________
telp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
brick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
brick's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 158
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Since I haven't built a fermentation chamber (yet) I'm planning to take advantage of low temperatures to do a brew or two that benefit from cold conditioning. The inside corner of my garage ought to be about right for something like a faux pils (fermented with clean ale yeast...probably US-05), which I have been meaning to try.



__________________
brick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tennesseean_87's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 1,180
Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default

That's the time for barleywine, quads, scotch ales, and doppelbock. It's late to do any for this year, but you can brew the big ones for next christmas!

__________________
#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Chanel on Pipe Smoking
tennesseean_87 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
RonPopeil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 698
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

if you're bottling you could still turn around a 1.050-1.060 brew. i'd consider a saison that's well spiced. maybe some fruit in secondary. cherries or citrus. this OG puts you in the ballpark for browns, pale ales, small IPA's or ambers.

if you can keg/force carb then you could still stretch to 1.070-1.080 depending on the style. bigger brews on this scale would almost have to be hoppy styles.

i think it would be a fun challenge.

__________________

Primary 1: Nada
Primary 2:
Primary 3:

RonPopeil is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
telp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 31
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87 View Post
That's the time for barleywine, quads, scotch ales, and doppelbock. It's late to do any for this year, but you can brew the big ones for next christmas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPopeil View Post
if you're bottling you could still turn around a 1.050-1.060 brew. i'd consider a saison that's well spiced. maybe some fruit in secondary. cherries or citrus. this OG puts you in the ballpark for browns, pale ales, small IPA's or ambers.

if you can keg/force carb then you could still stretch to 1.070-1.080 depending on the style. bigger brews on this scale would almost have to be hoppy styles.

i think it would be a fun challenge.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Those styles are exactly what I was wondering. And you think? I do like challenges...
__________________
telp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
RonPopeil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 698
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telp View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies! Those styles are exactly what I was wondering. And you think? I do like challenges...
if you're bottling just stick with lower gravities and tell people it's "unfiltered".
__________________

Primary 1: Nada
Primary 2:
Primary 3:

RonPopeil is offline
kingboomer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tennesseean_87's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 1,180
Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default

I'd go lower gravity-mid gravity (1060 and under) with malty styles like amber, brown, etc. Just mash high and use low attenuating yeast like S04 to keep up the mouth-feel and sweetness. I have a dark mild at 2.6% that tastes like a 5% beer cause it's packed with caramel and mashed at 160 and fermented with S04. Do that same sort of thing with a 5% beer and it may seem more like the 8% malt-bombs I crave this time of year.

__________________
#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Chanel on Pipe Smoking
tennesseean_87 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
telp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 31
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPopeil View Post
if you're bottling just stick with lower gravities and tell people it's "unfiltered".
It even sounds sophisticated ! Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87 View Post
I'd go lower gravity-mid gravity (1060 and under) with malty styles like amber, brown, etc. Just mash high and use low attenuating yeast like S04 to keep up the mouth-feel and sweetness. I have a dark mild at 2.6% that tastes like a 5% beer cause it's packed with caramel and mashed at 160 and fermented with S04. Do that same sort of thing with a 5% beer and it may seem more like the 8% malt-bombs I crave this time of year.
That's a great suggestion ! I will look into doing this.


__________________
telp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What season do you do the most brewing ? carolinabrewer General Beer Discussion 31 03-24-2013 04:59 PM
Pollen season brewing oceanselv All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 16 04-10-2010 03:50 PM
Brewing with the season AltitudeJunkie Recipes/Ingredients 1 04-23-2009 02:04 AM
inter video copy???? Fire_travels Brewing Software 2 02-04-2008 01:46 PM