Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Is this insane?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3051 Times on 1922 Posts
Likes Given: 2589

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJSkypala View Post
Excellent, I am going to brew tomorrow. Revising the hop schedule a bit though, how does this sound:

.5oz columbus @ FWH
.25oz columbus @ 10 min
1oz chamomile @ flameout
1lb wildflower honey @ flameout

Will the .5oz FWH be good for bittering? Columbus is pretty high alpha. I also am going to try and keep the 3068 yeast around 65F to keep the esters low but still have the bavarian quality, does anyone know if it will stall at this temp?
This is very close to a beer described in Extreme Brewing called Wildflower Wheat. That used 1 lb honey and 2 oz. chamomile. That recipe uses Wyeast American Wheat (Wy1010), so you are going to end up with more cloves at 65. And no, 3068 won't stall at 65. I think that is the perfect temp for a hefe.

BTW, I buy whole flower chamomile from the whole food shops. I have also bought it from tea shops. Stuff is extremely aromatic, so I would guess it packs a much bigger punch than the dustings in the tea bags.

Last edited by passedpawn; 05-30-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
RJSkypala
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great. I have the whole flower chamomile too, I think I will try an oz, if I feel the need for for more I guess I could always add some dry to the keg, might be nice anyway.

I am about to go get the equipment ready and start heating strike water, if anyone wants to chime in I am probably about 3 hours away from the boil.

Thanks for all the help, very excited for this recipe, should be an interesting summer session beer.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
RJSkypala
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just put the wort on to boil--the .5oz columbus FWH smelled amazing, I think I will be glad I didn't go with the nobles as I have brewed a few standard bavarian hefes before and I think this will be interesting.

I will post final recipe and results in a couple weeks, thanks for all your help.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
RJSkypala
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just tasted a hydrometer sample that was at about 1.014. Pitched yeast sunday night, had it @60F for 2 days then ramped it up to 63F and a day later to 65F. In a day or two I will warm it up to 68-70F and let it finish and then keg on sunday or monday.

So far so good, it tastes very balanced and smooth. I think the low ferment temps were a good decision. It will be interesting to see how the chamomile comes out, might add another .5oz in a nylon sack in the keg. Does anybody see any problems with this as far as the oils killing head retention or contributing astringent qualities?

Quick Reply