Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Input on Extract to All Grain recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
skeeordye11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Input on Extract to All Grain recipe

My brew buddy has an extract house brown ale recipe that he brews often. He enjoys it very much and is interested in stepping up to all-grain. He wnats to be sure that he can still brew his house brown so that it tastes as good as his current extract recipe. I have taken the challenge of attempting to brew this recipe all grain. Looking for input on my first attempt at conversion.

Extract recipe:
6# Wheat LME
1# Crystal 20 (steeped)
2 cups Chocolate Malt (steeped)
1/2oz Fuggles at 30, 10, & 2
Wyeast 1056

All-grain Recipe:
6# 2-row
2# Wheat malt
1# Crystal 20
1/2# Chocolate wheat (leftover from previous batch)
1oz fuggles 60
1/2oz fuggles 10
1/2oz fuggles 2
S-04
Mash around 155ish?

So what do you think? I'm sure it won't be spot on first try, but I hope I can get it close enough to challenge him to jusmp aboard the AG train and perfect it himself!

This beer tastes sweet but light. It a very sessionable for a brown ale. I assume that is because he always brews it with the wheat LME. Very little hops detected in the taste or nose. Those are just some tasting notes off the top of my head. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
FishinDave07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Leaving everything else constant, i would use a higher percentage of wheat since wheat extract is roughly 60/40 wheat/2-row. try using 5.5lb wheat, 2.5lb 2-row or something to that extent.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply