Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Input on an American Wheat needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 01:48 AM   #1
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Input on an American Wheat needed

Hey guys'n gals,
I'm looking to brew a nice, refreshing brew in the american wheat ale style for late summer. Something to squeeze a lemon wedge into. I've come up with this recipe:

3# wheat malt
6# 2-row pale
1/4# Dextrin malt

1 1/4oz Cascade 60min
3/4oz EKG 15min
3/4oz EKG 5min

OG 10.051
SRM 3.5
IBU 22.5
Nottingham Ale yeast

I can't help but think it looks a little boring. Any suggestions? I'm not sure If I'm happy with the hop profile either. I don't want it to be really bitter, but I'm not looking for a sweet brew either.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Rookie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Hey guys'n gals,
I'm looking to brew a nice, refreshing brew in the american wheat ale style for late summer. Something to squeeze a lemon wedge into. I've come up with this recipe:

3# wheat malt
6# 2-row pale
1/4# Dextrin malt

1 1/4oz Cascade 60min
3/4oz EKG 15min
3/4oz EKG 5min

OG 10.051
SRM 3.5
IBU 22.5
Nottingham Ale yeast

I can't help but think it looks a little boring. Any suggestions? I'm not sure If I'm happy with the hop profile either. I don't want it to be really bitter, but I'm not looking for a sweet brew either.

If you are going to squeeze a lemon wedge in to it I wouldn't bother with the last two hop additions or use a small amount of the cascades near the end.

Rookie
"We all put the yeast in", Larry, Moe & Curley.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm not sure how bitter you're shooting for, but 1 1/4 oz of Cascades seems a bit much for a wheat beer. I use .5 oz of Hallertauer for 60 mins and that's plenty bitter for me. I also agree with adding some Cascades in for that characteristic "grapefruit" flavor, but would add about an ounce at 30 mins. I like to finish with the Hallertauer too, another .5 oz during the last 15 mins.

If you really want to make the wheat stand out I'd use Wyeast #1010 (I LOVE this yeast!). You'll get plenty of banana, but not alot of the spiciness as with WY#3068.

Finally, I'd kick up my wheat a little bit to make it around 45% wheat malt, just my preference; I like to taste the wheat.

Everything else looks good!

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 06-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah , I agree. Looks a little ho-hum. Wouldn't put a grin on a Sasquatch. I think I would add 1/2-1 # of crystal 40. If you use the EKG you won't need a lemon.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #5
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Well the thing is, I 'm not going for a wiezen style here. It's more of a clone brew actually. One of the local micros makes a whaeat ale which is clear and crisp and almost perfoect for summer. I don't think they use a ton of wheat in their grist- just enough to make it different.
Thanks for the input on the hops, I think I'll cut down the total amounts to leave room for the lemon - this beer HAS to have lemons squeezed in it!

Thanks again, and one more note: Just about anything will put a smile on Sasquatch's face, provided he doesn't need to get up for it!!

Old 06-28-2006, 03:32 AM   #6
paul_beer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Well the thing is, I 'm not going for a wiezen style here. It's more of a clone brew actually. One of the local micros makes a whaeat ale which is clear and crisp and almost perfoect for summer. I don't think they use a ton of wheat in their grist- just enough to make it different.
Thanks for the input on the hops, I think I'll cut down the total amounts to leave room for the lemon - this beer HAS to have lemons squeezed in it!

Thanks again, and one more note: Just about anything will put a smile on Sasquatch's face, provided he doesn't need to get up for it!!

Are you talking about grasshopper? I'd be interested in how your recipe turns out.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_beer
Are you talking about grasshopper? I'd be interested in how your recipe turns out.
As a matter fact, I am. I'll let you know how goes.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Pedro-

Recipes 

bump.

So how did this turn out? I have been searching aimlessly for a grasshopper clone.

We drink this religiously on our trips to toronto. Matter of fact, this might be a bit sad, but we've only been there for a couple days the last couple of years and the fox and the fiddle knows our order when we walk in. heh

i would be forever humble for a good grasshopper clone.

cheers!

Ferm: 10 gal Apfelwein :)
Kegged: Wit, Blonde Ale, What Wheat?
Bottled: Apfelwein, Stout
Up Next: ESB, Honey Lager, CCA
Down the Hatch: A whole sh*t-ton!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Sorry to say I never really got around to brewing this. Cloning grasshopper is still on the list of things to brew, but I'll probably shoot for more of a yummy pseudo-wheat rather than trying to clone it perfectly. My brewing focus has changed a bit since then.

Whatever I discover, I'll be sure to post it here. It's not exactly Grasshopper season here so it'll be while before I take a stab at it.

Quick Reply