Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Innis & Gunn Clone- I'm Going for it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #11
EoinMag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Optic malt is actually a type of malt, such as Maris Otter,
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...-pound%29.html

MO would do though as I can't see there being much difference with pale malts anyway.

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was not happy with any of the Innis & Gunn brews I was served in Scotland. WAY too much oak.

Oak cam be implemented to supplement a well brewed beer. However, I felt they brewed marginally adequate beers and then covered up all of the mediocreness with oak and alcohol aged oak.

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

The Innis & Gunn bottles are in the offlicenses here at the moment, I think it's dreadful stuff myself, like chewing on a plank of wood. I'd agree with the poster above, WAY too much oak.

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)

Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 AM   #14
awsmith4
Recipes 

I loved the Innis & Gunn Rum Cask and I have good rum sitting around so I think I will try your recipe and do rum soaked chips. Is there anything in your recipe you would change?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #15
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
I loved the Innis & Gunn Rum Cask and I have good rum sitting around so I think I will try your recipe and do rum soaked chips. Is there anything in your recipe you would change?
I'm getting to near the end of my oaking right now and so I've been trying it ever couple of days. I bought a bottle of Innis & Gunn to compare it to today. The color is much darker than Innis & Gunn but the flavor is right on, the sweetness of the Scotch Ale is right where I want it and the oak I think will be dead on in another week or so.
I would guess a few week secondary of 2-3 oz of chips soaked in a good dark rum for a few weeks should get you pretty close to the rum cask version though I haven't actually tried it.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
awsmith4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veinman View Post
I'm getting to near the end of my oaking right now and so I've been trying it ever couple of days. I bought a bottle of Innis & Gunn to compare it to today. The color is much darker than Innis & Gunn but the flavor is right on, the sweetness of the Scotch Ale is right where I want it and the oak I think will be dead on in another week or so.
I would guess a few week secondary of 2-3 oz of chips soaked in a good dark rum for a few weeks should get you pretty close to the rum cask version though I haven't actually tried it.
Taste concerns me more than color so it sounds like you have created a good path for me to follow. As for rum I'll probably use Bacardi Anejo. I would use Zacapa or Zaya but every year my Dad gives me a bottle of the Anejo for Christmas and seeing as I drink rum maybe once every couple of months it will be a good use for it.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
mattpavone
Recipes 

Great stuff about it being pretty close! Let us know if you would tweak the recipe at all.

As for the Rum cask version, I think it's a different beer, not just the rum cask conditioning, but a different recipe, it's fuller bodied, but less sweet, and less carmel and more fruit/raisin flavour. A great winter sipper.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #18
awsmith4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpavone View Post
Great stuff about it being pretty close! Let us know if you would tweak the recipe at all.

As for the Rum cask version, I think it's a different beer, not just the rum cask conditioning, but a different recipe, it's fuller bodied, but less sweet, and less carmel and more fruit/raisin flavour. A great winter sipper.
After looking at their sit the answer is still not clear. They note it was a special batch but didn't elaborate on whether or not it was special because it was brewed differently or because it was aged differently. However they said that half the batch was aged in new oak barrels and half in rum barrels, then blended. I have no other recipe to go on and I'm a brew newb so I will just try this as my base and experiment with the rum.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #19
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I went back and looked at my first post and realized that after further research I had changed the recipe quite a bit and I better update this before people try and copy it.

The recipe I ACTUALLY used was a part-gyle with a Scottish 70 coming in the second runnings. To do just 1 batch the recipe would be:
5.5 gallon batch at 78% efficiency
13 lbs Marris Otter Malt
4 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz Roasted Barley
1.5 oz of Fuggles (4.5%) at 60 mins for 19 IBUs
Scottish 1728 Wyeast

OG 1068
FG 1016
ABV of 6.7%

Take the 1st gallon of runnings and boil it down on the stove to about 1 quart (or litre) of liquid, add this to the boil, this provides the caramel flavor and color for the beer.
Because of this you want to calculate your water as if you were producing enough wort for 6.25 gallons of beer.

After a month long primary rack the beer onto 2 oz of medium toasted American oak chips that have been boiled in a cup of water for 10 minutes. You can probably alter the flavor a good deal by swapping this for chips soaked in: whiskey, rye, spiced, dark or navy rum etc.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
mattpavone
Recipes 

Thanks so much for updating!

I was going to try and do this with the brew in a bag technique (I don't have a dedicated mash tun), I'll probably try and mash with less than the full volume, then transfer out 1Gal to boil down, return that to the kettle and top up with water for the full boil.

Think that should work ok?

Also, did you soak the oak chips in boiled/boiling water first, as was suggested?

Quick Reply