Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Innis & Gunn Clone- I'm Going for it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
Veinman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Innis & Gunn Clone- I'm Going for it!

I've had Innis & Gunn a few times and I quite enjoy it sadly it's the one beer I can't get a clone recipe. I've found a lot of forum posts here and elsewhere requesting a recipe and some discussion but no posts indicating someone actually brewed said recipes or comments about them.

This is what they say about their Triple Matured Oak:
"In this brew we combine the best ingredients from both Scotland and England - Optic Malt and Chocolate Malt grown in the Scottish borders and Goldings hops from the hop fields of Kent.
After brewing we filled the beer into American White Oak barrels{...}and left it there for an uncommonly lengthy maturation
Once we judged that the beer had absorbed the perfect degree of oak character, we emptied the barrels into a marrying tun, and let the maturation continue until the flavours from the individual barrels had blended together and mellowed to our satisfaction.
We then filled this batch into bottles, inside which the final, month-long maturation took place."

So I know:
1. 6.6% ABV
2. I think "Optic Malt" means UK 2-row or Marris Otter thoughts?
3. Chocolate Malt
4. Kent hops- Does this mean East Kent Golding or are their others?
5. Oak aged in barrels- I'll be doing oak chips soaked in Bourbon to sanitize probably around 1-2oz in the secondary for 10-14 days.

That being said here is my recipe:

13lbs UK 2-row
1.25lbs Caramel 60L
0.25lbs Chocolate Malt
1.50 oz East Kent Golding 5% 60 mins Boil
Wyeast # 1728 Scottish Ale
2 oz of Bourbon Soaked Oak Chips for 10 days in Secondary
Mash for 60 mins at 154F

OG: 1075
FG: 1025
Color: 17
IBU: 20.4

Finally I've read up on the "modern" Scottish style and "traditional" involving kettle caramelization which I think sounds like what I want so I'll try boiling the 1st gallon of runnings to 1/2 gallon volume for increased caramelization which I think should increase my FG up a bit.

I do realize that Scottish 80 style tops out at 6% max.

So thoughts on this?

edit: Anyone wanting to try this the recipe I ended up using is quite a bit different and is posted on the second page of this thread.

Reason: update recipe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Have you tried this? I'd love to find out if this is even remotely close to the perfection I enjoy

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 01-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Seems like a solid plan... anyone ever try to clone this beer?

Old 01-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I haven't actually brewed it yet. When I didn't get any responses I kinda forgot about it and I got busy so I didn't end up brewing it. I am planning to brew it on the 3rd when I have some free time and the weather is supposed to be (relatively) warm. I will post updates when I do brew.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
mattpavone
Recipes 

Very interested in this, I plan on attempting the same later this year prob when the weather is a bit nicer. A buddy I brew with loves this beer.

I did some research though, and the oak barrels I&G is aged in it actually virgin barrels, so I was planning on just sanitizing some oak cube in sterilizer first, rather than bourbon or whiskey.

I also heard they may add some corn sugar to increase the alcohol, not sure about that one though.

Keep us posted!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpavone View Post
Very interested in this, I plan on attempting the same later this year prob when the weather is a bit nicer. A buddy I brew with loves this beer.

I did some research though, and the oak barrels I&G is aged in it actually virgin barrels, so I was planning on just sanitizing some oak cube in sterilizer first, rather than bourbon or whiskey.

I also heard they may add some corn sugar to increase the alcohol, not sure about that one though.

Keep us posted!
Good to know thanks. I brewed this on January 3rd and hit my OG right on 1.070 but my mash temperature dropped a little towards the end so it might finish a little dry, also I boiled down the first gallon of wort to about a litre (quart) to add some caramelization flavor, I'm interested to see how that affects the FG. I was going to start soaking the chips today, now that I think about it their isn't much whiskey flavor in the beer so maybe I'll go with vodka soaking as that would be pretty neutral flavor. I'll let you know how this comes out in a couple months.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
ColoradoXJ13
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veinman View Post
Good to know thanks. I brewed this on January 3rd and hit my OG right on 1.070 but my mash temperature dropped a little towards the end so it might finish a little dry, also I boiled down the first gallon of wort to about a litre (quart) to add some caramelization flavor, I'm interested to see how that affects the FG. I was going to start soaking the chips today, now that I think about it their isn't much whiskey flavor in the beer so maybe I'll go with vodka soaking as that would be pretty neutral flavor. I'll let you know how this comes out in a couple months.

Two things:

1. I think your understanding of how mashing works is a little off, temp dropping a few degrees towards the end will not leave you with a more fermentable wort. The higher temperatures you started with denature the amylases more quickly leaving you with a more fermentable wort, the higher temp also favors amylases that leave you with less fermentable, more complex sugars in the wort, losing heat does not gain amylase activity if the temp drops, you should be fine.

2. Take your oak cubes, put in a mug or something and add boiling water and cover with aluminum foil or something, let cool, pour off the water (with bitter oak tannins you probably don't want) and add the cubes to the beer. No need for booze or sanitizer, steeping in boiling water works well and served a dual purpose of sanitizing and removing the 'bad' oak flavors. This is Jamil's method and has worked well for me. You are probably going to want more than 10 days on the oak too, from what I am told, I&G is pretty oaky as evidenced by their description of the aging process.

Let us know how this comes out, I have a friend who loves this beer but I have never had a chance to try it. Never even seen it in the states.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13 View Post
Two things:

1. I think your understanding of how mashing works is a little off, temp dropping a few degrees towards the end will not leave you with a more fermentable wort. The higher temperatures you started with denature the amylases more quickly leaving you with a more fermentable wort, the higher temp also favors amylases that leave you with less fermentable, more complex sugars in the wort, losing heat does not gain amylase activity if the temp drops, you should be fine.

2. Take your oak cubes, put in a mug or something and add boiling water and cover with aluminum foil or something, let cool, pour off the water (with bitter oak tannins you probably don't want) and add the cubes to the beer. No need for booze or sanitizer, steeping in boiling water works well and served a dual purpose of sanitizing and removing the 'bad' oak flavors. This is Jamil's method and has worked well for me. You are probably going to want more than 10 days on the oak too, from what I am told, I&G is pretty oaky as evidenced by their description of the aging process.

Let us know how this comes out, I have a friend who loves this beer but I have never had a chance to try it. Never even seen it in the states.
1. Good to know thanks. I do understand that a lower mash temperature makes a more fermentable and thus drier finished beer, I have been told that if your temperature drops during mashing it will be slightly more fermentable perhaps this is not a big deal as most of the coversion is done, the temperature dropped at about the 40 minute mark of my 60 minute mash.

2. I will certainly try this I have changed my strategy for oaking, orginally I was thinking a whiskey flavor was desired but now am leaning towards just an oak flavor and this sounds like a good strategy. I think I'll start tasting the wort at 14 days looking for a strong flavor and go from there.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13 View Post
Two things:

I ended up getting oak "chips" instead of cubes I have come to understand the only differnce is the chips are not uniform shape unlike the cubes. They are medium toast. I was thinking of using 1 or 2 oz which would you reccomend, I figure I'll start at 14 days and taste when its "just a little too oaky" as I hear the flavor fades a little with aging.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just a quick update. After a month of primary I transferred my this beer to secondary today on top of 2 oz of medium toast american oak chips. I plan to let it sit for 10 days and then start tasting it, when its just a little too oaky I'll pull it and bottle it. The hydro sample was really good, the hydro sample was really good and I could have drank it as a standard Scottish Wee Heavy. I'll keep this updated with my oaking notes.

Quick Reply