Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Which ingredients for my first IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
JosephLongbow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Which ingredients for my first IPA?

I wasn't interested in IPA's before but I've recently taken a liking to them. I want to come up with my own extract/partial recipe.

What is it that defines an IPA? For it to be an IPA what are the minimum base ingredients?

I would really like to use Columbus hops in the brew as one of the main hop additions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
NedStackey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Columbus works. Pale Malt Extract with maybe some Crystal 40L. Color can range for IPAs which the specialty grains will determine. There is a lot of information on styles by Googling or a number of books.

Just lots of hops, dry hop, etc. What IPAs are you drinking that you like, that may help more.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
JosephLongbow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well I had one recently that I really enjoyed and it spurred my creativity. It was a brew called 4C's from The Brew Kettle (http://www.thebrewkettle.com/beers/index.html).

The IBU range was perfect, and I guess this one is more of an APA, which is fine. It was delicious.

This would be the first recipe that I created on my own but it will be great when it comes out.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #4
sandyeggoxj
Head of Research and Development
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 113 Posts

IPA is defined by the freshness and the hop clarity. At least it is to me. I want to smell the beer and be taken back to picking fresh cones right off the plant. If an IPA can do that it is pretty awesome. I like a variety from the dank Chinook/Columbus types to the super clean, fairly dry Amarillo/zythos/simcoe types. I think a regular IPA should be 7-7.5% and should have the hops to balance. I Dont like when they are driven by bitterness, but rather a balanced bitter with a huge nose a fantastic, fresh flavor.

These are all opinions and YMMV.

*Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion

Old 05-01-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
SaguaroMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've gotten some insane lime/tropical fruit notes from the IPA I recently brewed from all New Zealand hops, smells and tastes great.

Did one syringe of Hopshot extract for first wort hops, some Nelson Sauvin at 30 min, then added Pacifica, Moteuka and Wakatu at knockout.

Quick Reply