So I was brewing a Dunkelweizen this morning, and as the mash was slowly trickling into my brew kettle I got a flash of inspiration thinking about DB's Amber-Weizen.
I quickly ran downstairs and crushed 2 lbs of 2-row, 1 lb of dark wheat malt, 2.5 oz of crystal 20L, and added about a 1/3 lb of Rye flakes. Then I put about 3.25 gallons of water on the stove. By the time I finished sparging the Dunkel that water was close to mash-in temps.
I tossed the fresh grains on top of the spent grist and mashed for about 40 minutes at 153. I did a decoction mash-out to 163 and collected about 3 gallons of wort, to which I added 1 cup of Wheat DME. This wort came to a boil just before I pitched yeast into the Dunkelweizen.
Hops for my gyle went like this:
.05oz Amarillo FWH
.25oz Tett @ 60
.25oz Saaz @10
.25oz Saaz @5
.20oz Amarillo to be dryhopped, maybe with a little more saaz too.
-a little estimating in beersmith and it looks like it should be around 17-20 IBU's, but the dry-hop should give it a little hop-nose.
What I am aiming for is a nice mix of weizen and american ale, and, crediting deathbrewer for the inspiration, I saved out a small portion of my starter of WLP380 and tossed a little bit of S-05 in with it for a yeast blend. MY OG ended up at 1.044 for about 2.5-2.75 gallons.
In the interest of finding repeatable successes in my brewing adventures, I always refrain from doing things off-the-cuff, so to speak. With that in mind, it was a really fun morning getting to just wing it and brew by the seat of my pants. Today brewing was more an art than a science. Well see what I get out of it.