Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Importance Of Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
zteelchainz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Importance Of Sugar

Hello All. First post. Long time beer appreciator, drinker, and for the last year part brewer. Have a few brews under the belt.

But I have a question about Sugar, regarding a belgian tripel. First batch we used Candi Sugar. I understand that it is an invert sugar comprised of fructose and glucose as opposed to straight sucrose, table sugar.

What are your thoughts on using regular Sucrose instead?

Thanks guys, and amazing forum. I'm happy to be a part of this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 02:43 AM   #2
InfiniteThought
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

sucrose has a slightly unpleasant cider-y taste. I used a bunch in an apple wine and it was completely fine but in beer its not good. the easy way is to make the sucrose into candi sugar yourself, its really easy.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
InfiniteThought
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

weigh the sugar you want, you want 1 lb candi put in 1 lb sucrose.
add a TINY BIT of water as little as possible really. you want just enough that the sugar forms a sticky hard to stir mess, not trying to dissolve it. then add a tiny bit of some time of food acid, a tablespoon of lemon juice works great. now heat the sugar, as it heats up the sucrose and the acid react and the sucrose turns into glucose and fructose, TADA! the problem is if you want to make it into hard crystalized candi sugar. to do that you have to get it really hot and poor it into something and then let it cool, which is a pain in the ass to break it and get it back out. I just make it and then poor it straight out of the pan into the boil kettle. you can google it for more exact directions which i recommend as things can go very wrong and cause a mess.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3283 Times on 2046 Posts
Likes Given: 2797

Sucrose works fine. It won't give you some of the melanoiden flavors (maybe there's caramel and raisins there too) that candy sugar gives. But it will let you bump up the ABV and dry out the belgian.

There's a great podcast (Basic Brewing Radio, I think) covering making your own candy sugar (the syrupy kind, not the kind on a stick). Worth a listen-to, just for the discussion of the qualitative values of the stuff.

Dextrose is used to make Duvel. In fact, I think a lot of it is in there. I've never tasted any cider in that. Not that I remember, anyway

Old 10-05-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
InfiniteThought
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post

There's a great podcast (Basic Brewing Radio, I think) covering making your own candy sugar (the syrupy kind, not the kind on a stick). Worth a listen-to, just for the discussion of the qualitative values of the stuff.

Dextrose is used to make Duvel. In fact, I think a lot of it is in there. I've never tasted any cider in that. Not that I remember, anyway
both of the candi sugars are actually the exact same thing, you just have to get one a lot hotter. The taste comes from cooking longer and hotter after the sugar has already inverted, your caramelizing it. Dextrose (corn sugar) is tasteless on its own, its the flavors in the caramelized sugar like you said.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Sucrose works fine, inverts in the boil, and is what the majority of the Belgians use for sugar additions in tripels and Golden Strongs per Stan Hieronymous in Brew Like a Monk.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 AM   #7
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Right, heat and acid are required to make the sugar invert best. Guess how many of those elements your boiling wort has?

So, don't fear table sugar in quantities lower than 20%.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
InfiniteThought
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post
Right, heat and acid are required to make the sugar invert best. Guess how many of those elements your boiling wort has?

So, don't fear table sugar in quantities lower than 20%.
Sorry but not quite, it needs heat and acid in the absence of water. If you boil sucrose in wort you get...sucrose dissolved in wort. I agree that lower then 20% you generally cannot taste it, but why not take about 5 min and make it on your stove? Besides if you make it on the stove first it is already hot and dissolved when you want to add it to the wort. I am not saying that I have never put lots of sucrose in a beer, cause I have, just that adding this step makes it taste a lot better.

Correction: if you boil sucrose in wort SOME of it will invert, but he majority will not.

Last edited by InfiniteThought; 10-05-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Correction

Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteThought View Post
Correction: if you boil sucrose in wort SOME of it will invert, but he majority will not.
I knew it would to some degree, but not exactly how much. Oh well. I knew it was all just too easy!

In any case, the whole "cider" thing is more FUD than anything else.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
zteelchainz
Recipes 

thanks a bunch everyone. extremely informative and warm in response demeanor, unlike other forums i've been a part of. Brewing this Friday so i'll try and post this weekend on how it went and what we tried. Have a good weekend everyone. Prost!

Quick Reply