Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > imperial pilsner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
debtman7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default imperial pilsner

Well, I'm ready to try a clone of Rogue's Morimoto Imperial Pilsner. It should be pretty simple, as they only list 4 ingredients (belgian pilsner malt, sterling hops, water and czech pilsner yeast). Here's what I've got:

16 lbs Belgian Pilsner Malt

3 oz sterling hops (60 min)
1.5 oz sterling hops (20 min)
1 oz sterling hops (flameout)
1 oz sterling hops (dry hopped)

Yeast: 2 packs Saflager W-34/70

The plan is to ferment at 50 degrees for 2 weeks, then lager at 34 degrees for 2 months.

Any tips or suggestions? One thing I'm unsure of is dry hopping a lager. I'm shooting for 74 IBU's, so this is a highly hopped pilsner, but I've never heard of dry hopping a lager... I really want a nice hop aroma though...

Also on the yeast, not sure about my choice here. I'm thinking of going with the saflager because it's simple, and I can throw two packets to ensure a high cell count. This should really be a clean beer with a nice maltiness and hop character though, so I'm thinking the saflager will do the job since I don't need any special yeast character.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Mash as LOW as possible. Honestly, I'd consider adding some simple sugars, as well (if you aren't terribly concerned with having a perfect clone). I've had one "Imperial Pilsner," Dogfish Head's, and it was the single worst beer I've ever had in my life. I'd drink thirty-five year old Genne Cream Ale that had been stored in a 100° attic before drinking another DFH "Golden Shower." Overwhelmingly sweet and full-bodied, chewy to the point of being undrinkable, like fruitcake-flavored cough syrup.

Remember, this is STILL supposed to be a pilsner at heart, so do whatever you can to keep the finish reasonably clean and dry.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:04 AM   #3
Rook

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bird, oi! You've GOT to try the Rogue Imperial Pilsner, its fantastic. My wife and I split a bottle for dinner a few weeks ago (its 750ml stone ware only). It doesnt' belie that its (I think) almost 9%. Fantastic clean taste, best pilsner I've had.

My wife and I first tried it at the Seattle Intl. Beer festival, it was a 1 cupon beer. (most of the high gravity beers are 2-4 cupons). We were shocked to find its $13.+ a bottle...

To the original poster, let me know how this goes, I'd love to hear the results.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:17 AM   #4
Rook

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, beersmith shows me WLP802 is a Czech Lager yeast, I'd try that one.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
debtman7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is a fantastic beer. I've never had the dogfish head to compare to, but the rogue is great. It definately has some more sweetness to it and is really hopped up, but good.

It comes in at 8.8%, which I'm a bit under with 16 lbs of malt, but I'm thinking that's ok...

I know the saflager is a german lager yeast and not a czech pilsner yeast, but I'm curious how much of a difference that would make. I'd rather stick with the dry just for the easiness factor, and no worries about cell count. Since this is a high alcohol lager it's going to need a massive starter...

Mash temperature is another thing to consider... There is a decent amount of sweetness in this beer, but it's also high alcohol, so I'm not sure if I should mash high, low or in the middle...

Then I'm still not sure about dry hopping a lager, I'm wondering if at near freezing temps if it would even do anything. Or if I'd need to warm it up, dry hop, then lager it. I dunno... The description on rogue's website specifically mentions 'dry hop aroma' but that could just be describing it and not necesarrily indicating that it's dry hopped.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Did this end up being brewed? Consumed yet? I'm itchin' to try this, may pull the trigger this weekend. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

I have always wondered what the difference is between an Imperial Pilsner and a Helles Bock are. I have always thought of the helles as being basically an imperial munich helles, so a imperial pilsner would be very similar except with a bit more hop character? Just throwing this out for thoughts.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:58 PM   #8
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
Did this end up being brewed? Consumed yet? I'm itchin' to try this, may pull the trigger this weekend. Thanks.
Nothing like quoting yourself, ingredients have been bought, still interested how this turned out. I think I'll be doing another decoction mash, eventhough the last one was a little tricky(missed 2nd decoc by a few degrees) - get back on the horse as they say. No sterling so I'll be using lots of saaz.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #9
woosterhoot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Mash as LOW as possible. Honestly, I'd consider adding some simple sugars, as well (if you aren't terribly concerned with having a perfect clone). I've had one "Imperial Pilsner," Dogfish Head's, and it was the single worst beer I've ever had in my life. I'd drink thirty-five year old Genne Cream Ale that had been stored in a 100° attic before drinking another DFH "Golden Shower." Overwhelmingly sweet and full-bodied, chewy to the point of being undrinkable, like fruitcake-flavored cough syrup.

Remember, this is STILL supposed to be a pilsner at heart, so do whatever you can to keep the finish reasonably clean and dry.
I find this to be true of the two dogfish head brews I've had. I had the india brown ale and the 60 minutes ipa, both were too sweet and extremely malty for me. I like malty beers, just more bitter rather than so sweet. What do they do to get the beer like that?

Old 07-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

O'dells also puts out an imperial pilsner, gotta say, this is the first beer from them I didn't like. I am fighting my way through the six-pack. Too sweet, not enough hoppiness.

Quick Reply