HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Imperial IPA Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #21
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdburg
Getting the back issues is easy. If you're just looking for the recipes, get the BYO 150 Clone Recipes newsstand issue. Both of these issues plus all the others I mentioned previously are in it. It's easily worth the $10 I spent ($5 for the magazine and $5 to ship it).

http://brewyourownstore.com/clone.html

If you want the actual issue, you can get it through BYO's back issue deparement. You can find more information here:

http://brewyourownstore.com/index.html

Unless you want the articles on hops and brewer interviews (which are included in the actual issue), I'd recommend the 150 clone recipe issue.
Is that recipe issue newstand ONLY? Will subscribers get it?
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #22
cdburg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I haven't been a subscriber in a few years, so I don't get the magazine in the mail any more. I bought it separately to get some of the recipes I lost when I threw away my pile of back issues issues.

I'm not sure if it will be sent to subscribers. It is labeled as a "newsstand issue" or "book" all over their web site though, so I have a feeling it may not be. I'm sure someone in their Subscriber Customer Service would be able to tell you for sure.

http://www.byo.com/contactus/

Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #23
OdinsBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed the extract version of the Pliny Clone. Thanks for posting the recipe. It was my second brew ever. I'm happy to say, last friday was the first day I DIDN'T go to the store to buy beer, because I had my own at home!

I was very happy with the results. After two weeks in the bottle it's pretty damn good. My brew tastes more like a slightly sweet Racer 5. Damn good stuff.

I used bottled water, White Labs Cali Ale WPL001 yeast. I had to sub simcoe hops with amarillo, as I gave all my hard found simcoe to my brother (damnit! Those are the best and I think key)! I messed up on the hop schedule putting the 45 minutes in at 75 minutes on accident (noobie nerves makes math hard). I think my skill level may be low and my conversion rates were not so great. My ABV is way too weak. Pliny is above 8% and mine is about 6.5%. It's too sweet, again conversion of fermentables? That's also probably why mine isn't hoppy enough either. But I didn't dry hop for 2 weeks. I read somewhere that someone said that Vinnie said that said you don't have to dry hop that long. I'm not so sure. I wanted to avoid any vegetal taste from the leaves and bottled after one week of dry hop. I also clogged up my auto siphon as I did my hop leaves loose. Some people put them in a bag and sink them with ss bolts (tip from Brew Strong podcast).

The main thing I learned was that my yield was low. The leaf hops sucked up a lot both from the wort and during dry hop. My brother, brewed the same thing a week after me and he squeezed out all the wort from the leaf hops before primary (I didn't). When dry hopping the leaves absorbed a lot again, in the secondary. I didn't want to squeeze out the brew after the dry hop for fear of oxidation. I ended with about 3.5 or 4 gallons in bottles.

I would definitely brew this again and again, but aim for higher yield, higher alcohol content, and more hops.

On another note, I've seen Pliny price fluctuations at the bar before, but this last week my main watering hole set the price for a 20oz at $7.50! Bar manager said he even got a call from the local newspaper food writer.

Cheers —

Reason: adding more tips

Old 12-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
Gear101
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I think I now have everything but theu grains, next brew day.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Quick Reply