Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Imperial IPA hop advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
tdogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by everty2007 View Post
Sorry and thanks just wasn't sure where the whirlpool term was referring to
Whirlpool is referring to pumping your wort through or around a chiller at the end of a boil. you have the wort go through the pump and return to the kettle through an angled inlet so the wort in the kettle rotates like a whirlpool. this helps move wort over the chiller (if using an immersion chiller, this will speed up the chilling) and it helps sediment collect on the bottom in a nice little pile if done correctly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #22
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Or, if you don't have a chiller, just a very basic setup, you can still whirlpool by using a spoon and stirring the wort to create a vortex, so the trub settles in the middle-bottom of the kettle in a cone shape. After it has a chance to settle, this makes it easier to siphon. I don't think the technique of "whirlpooling" is necessarily synonymous with having a coil or counterflow chiller.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #23
everty2007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well today is the day I will finally be brewing this beer. I took the suggestions and tweaked to get my final recipe. Along with the grains in Tdoggs recipe I'm adding a bit of carapils and honey malt based off other recipes I found online.

The hops- I will be first wort hopping with cascade, the warrior at 60, a little more cascade at 45 then mixing 1/2 oz of simco, citra, and amarillo during the last 15 min to zero. Then I will whirlpool while chilling to pitch 2 packs of US-05. With 2 weeks left in secondary I will dry hop with 1/2 oz of simco, citra, amarillo and the remaining cascade.

If anyone is interested I will post the results and let you know. Thanks for the help and advice I really do appreciate it.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #24
DrHop
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

That doesn't seem like enough hops. 1.5 oz of hops late in the boil for 5 gallons? I'd do at least twice the late hops and dry hops. I do like hops a lot though.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You need to seriously up the late addition hops. My IPA uses around 5oz's in the boil and 8oz's for the dry hop. That's more to style.

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Quick Reply